Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring Tesla into modern age of Solar construction practices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar City, before it had merged with Tesla, was one of the five companies I contacted to install a solar system. Eventually, 4 of them came out, and I selected 1 among them. 3 of them did site surveys the first time they visited. 1 did not, and I sent them packing right away. Which 1 did not? Solar City. They said I had to commit to the project by signing a binding commitment form before they would survey the site. I then asked them if they would survey it that day, and they said, no, it would have to be sent into a department, then they would call me, and schedule an appointment, for someone to come out to do the survey. No way! That ended that then and there. Later, when investigating this lapse in their reasoning, I realized it might be for liability reasons.

Ever since then, I've been encouraging Tesla (now with Solar City merged into it) to use flying sensors to do construction surveys rather than humans. I actually have an idea for Tesla to leapfrog the competition about this, but since I don't work there, they'll probably never get it. But, for now, I finally found an example of a way to at least come into the modern age regarding this issue, using flying sensors, in an advertisement from a company called AutoDesk:

3D Robotics on Twitter

...but since I don't work there...

I don't know about Solar City but for some companies, even if you work there, they would fire you for great new ideas :)

I think your idea is excellent and I don't see why Solar City can't do it.

It could the initial cost of investment that turn them off.

It might be cheaper just use current method so they don't have to worry about training, software engineering...