Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like my Tesla Solar ride is over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I may have just hit the end of the line on what has been an extremely frustrating 2-month experience.

Tesla is about to cancel my project because they’re not comfortable drilling a tether into my flat roof to complete the site survey because they’re worried about damaging the fire suppression system. I get the concern, however they knew from day 1 that I had a flat roof and a fire suppression system from the self-assessment questions. Same thing a month ago when they came by for the 1st site survey. Then they scheduled a 2nd site survey a month later to get measurements of my roof and this came to light when they cancelled it 30 min before it was to start.

All new construction is supposed to have a fire suppression system so I don’t see how they’re going to be doing any more flat roofs in SoCal if they’re not willing to drill a tether or to carefully drill some shallow pilot holes to figure out where to tether.

Now I’m concerned that this 2-month waste of time may have just cost me beating the NEM deadline with another company.

Ugh.

Looks like I may have just hit the end of the line on what has been an extremely frustrating 2-month experience.

Tesla is about to cancel my project because they’re not comfortable drilling a tether into my flat roof to complete the site survey because they’re worried about damaging the fire suppression system. I get the concern, however they knew from day 1 that I had a flat roof and a fire suppression system from the self-assessment questions. Same thing a month ago when they came by for the 1st site survey. Then they scheduled a 2nd site survey a month later to get measurements of my roof and this came to light when they cancelled it 30 min before it was to start.

All new construction is supposed to have a fire suppression system so I don’t see how they’re going to be doing any more flat roofs in SoCal if they’re not willing to drill a tether or to carefully drill some shallow pilot holes to figure out where to tether.

Now I’m concerned that this 2-month waste of time may have just cost me beating the NEM deadline with another company.

Ugh.
Never use Tesla Energy. Always go with a 3rd party.

What they said. Although I wouldn't say never. But at least in your cases, and many cases, it is better to go with reputable third party installer. Many can install Powerwalls and similar (or even better) solar equipment than Tesla.

After seeing my installer put up my system, them helping them take it down and put it back up during a reroof, as well as helping my cousin do his system by himself, if I ever move to a new home or add to my existing system, I am going to do it myself. Installation alone is over 50% of the total cost. I will just hire an electrician (or an electrician friend) to help with the wiring

What they said. Although I wouldn't say never. But at least in your cases, and many cases, it is better to go with reputable third party installer. Many can install Powerwalls and similar (or even better) solar equipment than Tesla.

After seeing my installer put up my system, them helping them take it down and put it back up during a reroof, as well as helping my cousin do his system by himself, if I ever move to a new home or add to my existing system, I am going to do it myself. Installation alone is over 50% of the total cost. I will just hire an electrician (or an electrician friend) to help with the wiring
For me it is worth working with a company who does warranty for the entire job. I have well gotten my money back on so many things that if I had done them myself, .....

I agree that Tesla isn't a friendly company to work with when your install requires extra attention nor when you need customer service, but they are a massive company that is likely to be around through the years. Solar installers don't have a great track record for longevity, recent examples of large bankruptcies include Solar4America/Peterson Dean and Pink Energy/Power Home Solar I would expect that small installer lifespans are far worse.

If your installer goes out of business good luck getting anyone else to touch your system for upgrades or maintenance.

Tesla does not want to start drilling holes through roofs, if they have reason to believe that water or electrical pipes are hidden underneath. They do initial surveys, but the actual installation team will make the final decision as to proceed with questionable installs. Perhaps an independant company would be willing to just drill away, but that could end badly.

There are a variety of systems for imaging through walls, and roofs. Other contractors do it routinely. There are also alternative installation methods.

However, Tesla sweet spot is low cost, cookie cutter installations. They just don't do "special".

@eisenb11 sorry for your delay; I guess the good news is that you have a number of reputable installers to choose from in your area.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jboy210
All new construction is supposed to have a fire suppression system so I don’t see how they’re going to be doing any more flat roofs in SoCal
New construction with fancy flat roofs will already come with solar as mandated by CA. It's not going to matter to Tesla. From the few new construction single family homes with included solar that I've seen, the design of the roof and solar is more integrated than just solar panels mounted to the top of the roof.

I huge deciding factor for me to go with Tesla Energy is that (Being in the SF Bay area) they were almost 50% less expensive than the other 4 solar companies I called. One of which stated to me directly that they wouldn’t even bother with the free quote if Tesla Energy was in the list of quotes because they couldn’t come even close to being competitive in their pricing. The other companies all acknowledged their higher prices but tried to counter with statements of quality, longevity, experience, perks etc; The trouble was everything they offered was also offered by Tesla. Some even talked about tax credits as if I got those using them and not Tesla.

Of course I also heard the stories of horrible Tesla customer service, long delays etc, but to be honest, I encountered none of these. At all. The process was so seamless and details happened so rapidly after downpayment that it was _I_ that was actually the slowdown in the process taking two or three days longer than I should have to acknowledge the paperwork as it regularly came to me. I even made a change to the configuration of my panel layout that was acknowledged on the same day I submitted it to my project advisor, and the approved new drawing and plan was in my inbox the next day.

The building inspector was at my house a week after the install, and I got PTO a week after that. The nice thing is I was able to fully utilize all the solar coming in to power my house and charge the battery and use it at night. The only thing I couldn’t do during the wait for PTO was send excess energy back to the grid. Prior to install I was under the impression I couldn’t even turn on my system, but this was not true, so essentially there was no downtime wait for approval.

I know I might be an anomaly, but my read is that what is likely more probable is that customers with satisfactory or good experiences are often silent while bad experiences get widely expressed and publicized.

The only reason I recommend Tesla Energy so much and often, is my experience was/is not only satifactory; it was exceptional and excellent!

My biggest frustration is mainly that everyone can’t have an install experience like mine.

One thing I have to add though for the sake of transparency. I committed ahead of time to pay for my system in full at completion. My two other friends that have Tesla solar battery systems did the same, and all three of us had very similar excellent experiences. I don’t know if Tesla treats customers who purchase systems outright differently than those who lease or finance since to complete those systems faster means faster revenue for them? I guess something to consider…

Last edited:
New construction with fancy flat roofs will already come with solar as mandated by CA. It's not going to matter to Tesla. From the few new construction single family homes with included solar that I've seen, the design of the roof and solar is more integrated than just solar panels mounted to the top of the roof.

Some friends of ours just bought a new home with the mandated construction. It was tiny compared to what they needed and they installed an additional system that is twice the mandated one.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla Energy is like an extension of Elon's MO. Basically a bipolar experience.

When he's doing stuff that works, it's amazeballs. When he is Tweeting about mass layoffs and stuff about Russia, it sucks azz.

So customers that gets Elon's goods will be his stans. But it's just as likely a different customer will get outright hosed so the recipients of the less-than-stellar experience will wonder what all the stans are talking about.

Personally, I like my corporations to be inept, greedy, and prone to pushing consumer trade right up to the borderline that separates deception and legal. No bipolarness... just greed. So then the corporation is predictable and dollars dictate decisions. Tesla is wildly unpredictable and can drive people nuts lol.

there have been 4 new houses built near me in the past year. None have solar. How do they get around the mandate?

there have been 4 new houses built near me in the past year. None have solar. How do they get around the mandate?

The solar-mandate goes into effect on Jan 1, 2023. I think a new home construction just needs to do is get past the final inspection before the cut-off. The home doesn't actually have to be sold yet.

I agree that Tesla isn't a friendly company to work with when your install requires extra attention nor when you need customer service, but they are a massive company that is likely to be around through the years. Solar installers don't have a great track record for longevity, recent examples of large bankruptcies include Solar4America/Peterson Dean and Pink Energy/Power Home Solar I would expect that small installer lifespans are far worse.

If your installer goes out of business good luck getting anyone else to touch your system for upgrades or maintenance.
It is true, in the almost 20 years we have been in business, many have come and gone with lower prices than ours.

However I love working for a company that pays well, and has the bandwidth to serve our customers right.

If you want a person on the phone, you got it. Have an issue on the weekend when the power goes out or a leak and we are there that day. This is why we are the first and only call for many local GC's

OP it sounds like a silly excuse to not quote a job, and that Tesla doesn't want your business very badly.

Reactions: jhn_
The solar-mandate goes into effect on Jan 1, 2023. I think a new home construction just needs to do is get past the final inspection before the cut-off. The home doesn't actually have to be sold yet.

Thanks. I thought it went into effect over a year ago

I have noticed the same in some new construction and was also wondering as they don't appear to meet any of the exemption categories (disaster rebuild, roof shaded over 50%, seasonal/temporary structure). My understanding is that mandate requires that the PV installed is enough to cover the annual production and most of these $2M+ homes must be well under that as I'm seeing only 12-16 panels on a lot of them.

It is true, in the almost 20 years we have been in business, many have come and gone with lower prices than ours.

However I love working for a company that pays well, and has the bandwidth to serve our customers right.

If you want a person on the phone, you got it. Have an issue on the weekend when the power goes out or a leak and we are there that day. This is why we are the first and only call for many local GC's

OP it sounds like a silly excuse to not quote a job, and that Tesla doesn't want your business very badly.
Everything that I have seen from you here indicates that you and the company you work for are top notch and would be worth the extra $$, unfortunately that might not be true in another 20 years with turn over in management and owners to the next generation.

Just adding to the others here that said the same. Our Tesla solar+powerwalls was not without frustrations, delays, lack of communication and even a failed inverter. We didn’t have any unique install requirements, and with the next closest quote being 40% more and not able to get Powerwalls as quickly, Tesla as the installer was a no brainer due to dollars.

As much as it would hurt to loose production, we could loose months of it each year and still be financially ahead.