Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser Crashing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found a possible solution. I have a 2020 MS, and recently the browser started crashing randomly after a few seconds or more, but always crashing. It was absolutely unusable. I reported it to the local SC (where I have an unrelated appointment next week). They said the problem is caused by "a lack of available memory", and they suggested I clear all my navigation history. It took me a while to manually delete each stored location (by swiping right), and when I was done: no change. I did a hard reboot of the car using the Power Off button on the Safety screen: no change. Then I did an MCU reboot with the steering wheel switches: success! For the first time in months, I can view web pages, open links, and do normal web browsing without the browser unceremoniously crashing.

TL/DR: Manually delete all navigation history locations, then reboot the MCU to restore web browser utility. Don't know how long it'll last, but this is a dramatic improvement.

Edit added: I'm running 2022.4.5
Thanks for sharing. This is encouraging news. Can you share an update? Has it continued to work the past 30 days or so? I'm also very curious if this has worked for others.

Just found a possible solution. I have a 2020 MS, and recently the browser started crashing randomly after a few seconds or more, but always crashing. It was absolutely unusable. I reported it to the local SC (where I have an unrelated appointment next week). They said the problem is caused by "a lack of available memory", and they suggested I clear all my navigation history. It took me a while to manually delete each stored location (by swiping right), and when I was done: no change. I did a hard reboot of the car using the Power Off button on the Safety screen: no change. Then I did an MCU reboot with the steering wheel switches: success! For the first time in months, I can view web pages, open links, and do normal web browsing without the browser unceremoniously crashing.

TL/DR: Manually delete all navigation history locations, then reboot the MCU to restore web browser utility. Don't know how long it'll last, but this is a dramatic improvement.

Edit added: I'm running 2022.4.5
Hi...thanks for sharing. Is browser still working for you over the past 30 days or so? I'd also be curious if others have found this technique has corrected the issue.

If this is a success it shows another gross fault in the programming. It should either be indifferent to the history unless asked (might be storable on a flash drive), delete all but the most recent (say) ten and/or provide a method of deleting history with one click on presentation of a message such as "Computer slowed down because memory full of trip history - delete YES/NO?"
It's certainly nice to be able to select a trip from history but not if the facility makes the thing potentially unusable!

Reactions: beachmiles