Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Securing the door would require installing a new base plate portion of the lock hasp itself. At that point, the person doing such a repair would probably incur some level of liability should there be a subsequent issue with the unauthorized repair.

Sorry. I could not tell from the original pictures that a lock alone would not be enough. (I expect I should have been able to.)

To remove the temptation to enter, perhaps someone could close the door and place a rock in front to prevent the wind from blowing it open again. I don't think putting a lock on it is worth the effort. If someone wants to get in it appears fairly easy to scale the walls.

A rock, wire tie, etc seem like better options to me.

I'm sure you two are correct. Something simple that just makes it less obvious that the enclosure is not secure would go a long way towards making it less likely that something bad happens.

It's a good thing there's nothing dangerous in there, like high voltage electricity. We wouldn't want to see Tesla leaving themselves vulnerable to any sort of negligence lawsuit if something unfortunate were to happen. Luckily that kind of thing never happens at Superchargers, right?

There are several Supercharger Sites in California without an enclosure. You can walk right up to the Supercharger Cabinets and Distribution Center that are all locked cabinets.

For example, here are the Supercharger Cabinets in Buellton, CA:
Buellton-Cabinets.JPG

There are several Supercharger Sites in California without an enclosure. You can walk right up to the Supercharger Cabinets and Distribution Center that are all locked cabinets.

For example, here are the Supercharger Cabinets in Buellton, CA:
View attachment 102319

That's interesting.

My concern is that when something appears as vulnerable as the Buffalo SC looks in the pictures, with a door that obviously should be locked swinging wide open, it is a bit of an invitation for those that might have less than honorable intentions. Perhaps someone who has read this thread and goes by there some time soon will close the door in some temporary fashion, with a rock or a wire tie or something, and 90% of the problem will be alleviated.

Awesome!

I'm sure that will decrease the likelihood of anything bad happening by quite a bit.

Thanks for offering to do that!
So, I stopped by on our way home and, lacking any suitable materials and seeing no nearby large rocks, I ended up putting the lock back into its receiver plate. It looks secure, but certainly won't hold up to any real wind. Next time I'm by I'll have some large zip ties with me to keep it closed in inclement weather.

As expected, my first attempt didn't last long at all. The opening wasn't conducive to zip ties of reasonable length, so I ended up tying some black line I had in the trunk to secure it. Not the prettiest, but it should hold up to some wind now.

Again, thanks for taking an interest, and doing what you could. Let's hope Tesla gets around to repairing it properly sooner rather than later!

I had driven by the SC and noted that the door was once again wide open. After I came home and dropped off my wife I took my foot long heavy duty nylon ties and headed back to the SC with the intent of using the ties to close the gate until a definitive repair can be made. By the time I returned at about 4:15 PM I found that the gate had been tied shut by etm33. The job looked good enough for the short term so I didn't try to improve on it. One of the truisms we were taught in doing medical procedures was, "The enemy of good is better". It would have taken 2-3 of my nylon ties to close the gate. If I find it open again I will use them. I'll keep them in the car with me. Here are some of the the pictures I took of his handiwork. I tucked the lock which was still on the ground just in front of the gate under the gate door to keep it from walking.
Gate fix.jpg

By the time I returned at about 4:15 PM I found that the gate had been tied shut by etm33. The job looked good enough for the short term so I didn't try to improve on it.View attachment 102735

As you can tell, I was not a boy scout. Yeesh, those knots look even worse than I remember :)

One of these days we'll actually bump into each other, doc...maybe in 2 years from March when I get a Model 3.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I wasn't a Boy Scout either. Most of my knots I learned from my suturing experiences. Nevertheless, your work seemed good enough. My Thanksgiving was small and fine. Just my wife and daughter and me. Would be nice to have some sort of regular WNY EV Owners get together in the future.

As you can tell, I was not a boy scout. Yeesh, those knots look even worse than I remember :)

One of these days we'll actually bump into each other, doc...maybe in 2 years from March when I get a Model 3.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

On my way home today, I saw a friendly Ranger at the SC working on a wheel/tire issue (with a poor white Model S on a trailer) and let him know about our unsecured gate. He mentioned that the enclosures are "farmed out" to a construction company for building and repair, and that adds a bit of time for repairs.

As of Monday at around 4PM the lock hasp had been replaced.
20151221_170956[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My wife informed me that we would be visiting the Cleveland area to see our son and grandson around Dec. 29. I called up Lyndhurst to schedule a Seat belt check and to ask if they could install the 4G upgrade. No problem with the seat belt check but they were not able to accommodate me for the 4G upgrade install. When I asked why I was told that most of there techs were in California working on the Model X release! I wonder if they are there for training or are involved in vehicle final prep? I had responded to a letter that Tesla had sent me about the seat belt recall on the weekend and was told that Tesla is planning some sort of group inspection event at the Buffalo Supercharger, "Soon".