Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to use the SC today around 3:40PM and noted some sort of accident on Transit Road just south of the stoplight controlled entrance to the Eastern Hills Mall. The stoplight in question was out. I turned into the mall to bypass the road blockage and made my way to the SC where I noted the illuminated, "Tesla" was dark as was the Key Bank sign. Hopefully the SC will be up when the local power is rstored. And yes, I did try to charge.

I tried to use the SC today around 3:40PM and noted some sort of accident on Transit Road just south of the stoplight controlled entrance to the Eastern Hills Mall. The stoplight in question was out. I turned into the mall to bypass the road blockage and made my way to the SC where I noted the illuminated, "Tesla" was dark as was the Key Bank sign. Hopefully the SC will be up when the local power is rstored. And yes, I did try to charge.

Nightmare scenario for a road trip. I once had this impact an ICE road trip in the 80's, no power no gas as well.

I know we've discuss this multiple times before; it would be great if tesla would provide real-time status updates on the SC network on the car's nav. In this case if you set a route that used the Buffalo SC, it should tell you that it's temporarily out of service.

I'm still listed on Plugshare with my 19.6 kW HPWC. No one called. Glad to see the SC was up today. I plan to top off on the way to Cleveland (Macedonia). Nice to know there is a HPWC in Geneva, OH at the Qwik-Fill - J&B Jerky Outlet if I need a short boost. At least until we get an Erie Supercharger.

Visited the SC today and found the front gate of the enclosure open, the lock on the ground apparently broken off from the baseplate. I called Tesla to notify them of the situation and was told they would send someone from their SC team. The SC was fully functional.
Open gate.jpg
Lock Baseplate.jpg
Lock Details.jpg
Lock.jpg

Visited the SC today and found the front gate of the enclosure open, the lock on the ground apparently broken off from the baseplate. I called Tesla to notify them of the situation and was told they would send someone from their SC team. The SC was fully functional.

Three days later...

Gate is still wide open as of Wed. PM.

It's a good thing there's nothing dangerous in there, like high voltage electricity. We wouldn't want to see Tesla leaving themselves vulnerable to any sort of negligence lawsuit if something unfortunate were to happen. Luckily that kind of thing never happens at Superchargers, right?

Oh. Wait...

Cabinets are locked and should not be accessible to cause a dangerous situation. Issue is more around damage to the equipment itself but vandals.

The incident you are referencing happened to an electrician presumably with access to inside of cabinets. Let's not create an issue that doesn't exist.

Cabinets are locked and should not be accessible to cause a dangerous situation. Issue is more around damage to the equipment itself but vandals.

The incident you are referencing happened to an electrician presumably with access to inside of cabinets. Let's not create an issue that doesn't exist.

The cabinets are one lock less secure than they should be, and have been that way for several days. Someone seeing the broken lock, and the open door might be more tempted to "mess around" with the cabinet than they otherwise would be, especially since they could get inside, shut the door behind them, and be out of sight. They couldn't do that if the lock on the outer door were in place.

Edit: Thinking more about this, in light of the fact that Tesla has not acted on the information after having had it for several days, do you think it would be wrong if a local or someone passing through were to secure the door with a $3 combination lock and call Tesla (first) to provide the combination? Seriously, I'm wondering what people think of the ethics of this? The risk is that somehow it inhibits someone from Tesla being able to add the correct lock when they do show up because somehow the information about the combination lock is not communicated to them properly, and they also do not have a tool to cut the combination lock off, and can't easily obtain one. The upside is that the area is secured for the time it would be unsecured until Tesla acts to secure it again. Thoughts?

Last edited:
To remove the temptation to enter, perhaps someone could close the door and place a rock in front to prevent the wind from blowing it open again. I don't think putting a lock on it is worth the effort. If someone wants to get in it appears fairly easy to scale the walls.

To remove the temptation to enter, perhaps someone could close the door and place a rock in front to prevent the wind from blowing it open again. I don't think putting a lock on it is worth the effort. If someone wants to get in it appears fairly easy to scale the walls.

A rock, wire tie, etc seem like better options to me.