TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Business Insider talks to BMW about "Why Our New Electric Car Is Better Than Tesla's"

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by gpetti, Jan 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

#1 gpetti, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. TSLAopt

TSLAopt Active Member

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Oh yes, I particularly enjoyed the bit about getting a 3-series for a road trip.

And the stuff about the hydro, wind and recyclability was quite funny. I understand the i concepts, but I couldn't help but consider that the Model S body is made of aluminum, a heavily recycled and abundant metal. And I can't wait for more details on the Gigafactory's closed cycle concept.

4. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Yeah, I laughed out loud when I read this.

5. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

The i3 does have a better price than the model S. But BMW is doing an electric economomobile with BMW badging, pricing and performance, which means it is still limited. 190km is good, it really is enough for the great majority of people's driving. But BMW has to market it as a city car, and they are offering a range extender for a reason.

The model S on the other hand can drive coast to coast, and if you are dissatisfied with needing to charge partway through the trip, I suggest taking 20-25 minutes every 150 miles to meditate on the importance of taking time for yourself, and enjoying the world around you. Perhaps the car should be plugged in for this time as well.

The i3 seems to be one of the beset electric cars around, and it is probably best in its class, but it just isn't in the same class as the Model S.

6. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

A couple of points:

The i3 doesn't necessarily have a "better" price, but it does have a "lower" price. ("Better" implies a value-for-money argument.) It's like, what has a better price; 1 kg of gold for $1000, or 1 kg of lead for $500? I would argue that the better price is $1000, but the lower price is of course $500.

You forgot the quatation marks. The i3 has "190" km of range. ;) Realistically, more like 80-160 km, depending on season and driving style.

7. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Lol not at all. Its almost the same price as a 60kw Model S with minimal options