Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Busted PEM? Call Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

chadconway

'08 Roadster 1.5 - VIN 323, '19 M3 SR, '22 MY LR
Jul 20, 2010
Kailua, HI
My car wouldn’t go into drive recently. I had the car towed to Tesla and they gave me an estimate for $3,200 including parts, labor, and tax! Instead of paying for a complete unit, they are now charging less for remanufacturing your current PEM in house, and it comes with a 2 year warranty. Now there is no need for preventative maintenance for $5,000+

I wonder what they are doing exactly for the repair? Which service center was this?
Did they say what they will do when they rebuild it?
Not sure, didn’t say. Fife, WA is the service center.

Also, what is the estimated turn-around time?
Got the quote 21st of June. They are reinstalling the PEM this week 12th of July. So seems like just a few weeks.

Are new PEMs available as an option?
If so, will they allow you to keep your old PEM it you paid a ‘core’ charge for a new one?
I don’t think so, but also didn’t ask.

Reactions: eHorses
giphy.gif

Definitely very interested in knowing what work they end up performing on it. If you're open to sharing, we'd love to see the service document – with personal info redacted of course.

Exciting news, maybe they’re able to source new capacitors and boards. Are new PEMs available as an option?
If so, will they allow you to keep your old PEM it you paid a ‘core’ charge for a new one?
I’d assume the PEM reman is just like the battery pack situation right now - it can only be replaced if it fails. After all, at least they are actively providing replacements to those who need it most, which also likely keeps turnaround times lower.

Thanks for the new info, Chad! That’s a huge win for OEM support of our Roadsters.

pem.png

Very interesting that they perhaps have a badge other than the "TESLA MOTORS" one for the 1.5 PEM. Like @gregd – now I'm very curious what they do for the 2.x where you have RS badging. Do they have generic cases stockpiled somewhere and the respective badges to attach depending on your build?

View attachment 828239
Very interesting that they perhaps have a badge other than the "TESLA MOTORS" one for the 1.5 PEM. Like @gregd – now I'm very curious what they do for the 2.x where you have RS badging. Do they have generic cases stockpiled somewhere and the respective badges to attach depending on your build?
That’s exactly what they did when my 2.5 Sport PEM was replaced. In most cases they reuse the cover, but they order that badge just in case. The part number is the same for all “Base” motor Roadsters’ PEMs. The Roadster Sport badge for the PEM is ordered for replacements on Sport models.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
I had my 2.x PEM replaced once due to the failed PEM Fan connector. The replacement came with a "Roadster Sport" badge on it (but obviously with non-Sport firmware installed, to match my car). At my request, they changed the badging...

The joy of owning a hand built car!

I‘ve had similar issues, including missing R80 badge, when 3.0 was done. I’ve seen plenty of originally owned 2.x Roadster Sports missing the correct badges(door sill covers, ‘sports’ on side, RS on PEM and RS on trunk). These RS owners took delivery with mismatched or missing badges and were told that tesla would arrange to have the correct ones installed and/or replaced when correct RS badges were available. 10-14yrs later some cars still have missing or mismatch badges; hence, you cannot judge the roadster’s build type by exterior badges alone.

My Roadster 1.5 has been in a specialty repair shop for months and they appear to have damaged the PEM. Say they can't get IGBTs.
Anybody know the identification of the IGBTs in the 1.5? Should I retrieve it and tow it to WA or other Tesla SC?

Strib

My car wouldn’t go into drive recently. I had the car towed to Tesla and they gave me an estimate for $3,200 including parts, labor, and tax! Instead of paying for a complete unit, they are now charging less for remanufacturing your current PEM in house, and it comes with a 2 year warranty. Now there is no need for preventative maintenance for $5,000+
Chad, you and I both appear to be in the Bay Area. How did you tow your 1.5 up to Fife WA?

Strib

@Strib, you should absolutely retrieve your car from the 3rd party shop.

Why/how Fife, I drove it to Seattle back in 2020 and left it with Carl Medlock for some upgrades. I recently got the 3.0 upgrade (had been on the waitlist since 2018). Before bringing it back from Seattle area, it failed hence why it went to Fife. I would bet there is service center in the Bay Area that can service roadsters. I recommend reaching out to Dominic at [email protected] to see which shop is best for Roadsters.

My Roadster 1.5 has been in a specialty repair shop for months and they appear to have damaged the PEM. Say they can't get IGBTs.
Anybody know the identification of the IGBTs in the 1.5? Should I retrieve it and tow it to WA or other Tesla SC?

Strib
We have over 2000 IGBT's in stock, send us your car and we will get you taken care of. 425-405-0458 or [email protected]