Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Raven X or wait for interior refresh ~September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..starting this thread for the inevitable questions ..now the the new S refresh announced for September o_O;):eek:
Think it depends on if you like the current interior layout with the two screens more like a conventional car vs the rumored switch to one centered screen like the M3. I just ordered a Raven X a little sooner then I wanted, because I like this current interior and didnt want to chance the refresh interior.

Think it depends on if you like the current interior layout with the two screens more like a conventional car vs the rumored switch to one centered screen like the M3. I just ordered a Raven X a little sooner then I wanted, because I like this current interior and didnt want to chance the refresh interior.

I loved driving the performance Model 3, but ended up buying a new P100D for just this reason .... in addition to the suspension, range and battery updates, not to mention the loyalty Ludicrous upgrade.

Turns out I really like the screens and controls in the S & X; I couldn't get used to the single screen where putting up the energy graph or music blocked the map. The S /X have 5-6 screen zones between 2 displays, the 3 only 2-3 on one display. Also think they went a little crazy with removing buttons for things like wiindshield wipers or side mirror adjustments.

I do like the clean lines of the 3 interior, but with rumours of an S update in the fall, wanted to grab a good deal on a design I liked, rather than wait and roll the dice on an unknown S interior refresh.

May regret in September, who knows, but there was enough in the Raven refresh for me to move on it now.

Last edited:
I loved driving the performance Model 3, but ended up buying a new P100D for just this reason .... in addition to the suspension, range and battery updates, not to mention the loyalty Ludicrous upgrade.

Turns out I really like the screens and controls in the S & X; I couldn't get used to the single screen where putting up the energy graph or music blocked the map. The S /X have 5-6 screen zones between 2 displays, the 3 only 2-3 on one display. Also think they went a little crazy with removing buttons for things like wiindshield wipers or side mirror adjustments.

I do like the clean lines of the 3 interior, but with rumours of an S update in the fall, wanted to grab a good deal on a design I liked, rather than wait and roll the dice on an unknown S interior refresh.

May regret in September, who knows, but there was enough in the Raven refresh for me to move on it now.
Did you get the ludicrous as a loyalty reward for having the 3? Just placed an order and they removed it (have a 3)

Gotta figure out what you want. There's no guarantee the refresh will actually show up this fall (been rumored several times in the past,) and nothing certain about what it'll be.

Do you like the current S/X interiors? Do you like the current 3 interior?

The speculative information available suggests the refresh will move the other two towards the 3 configuration.

There's a good chance I'll like it less - I normally keep energy/power, trips, maps, and music all open, and with a 3 I'd have to choose among them. But as always YMMV.

There's no chance a 2170 update will show up this year IMHO. Tesla is struggling to find eggnog 2170 cells to feed the 3 production line, and that'll get worse as the Semi and Y production start.

Until they have a substantially higher cell production capacity than the car and storage demands, Tesla has a lot to lose by tying all the cars to the new format and little to gain.

Reactions: P85_DA
Model X vertical screen makes it easy to access entire screen from driver seat, not sure how user friendly horizontal screen will be based on the model x size, can driver still able to access entire screen without reaching forward for it. I am awaiting for my Model X so really not sure about it, can existing Model X owners share their opinion.

I personally prefer the M3 interior so I'm waiting for the interior refresh. It all just comes down to your interior preference. If you prefer the M3 interior, wait, it shouldn't be that long. I've got a factory tour in Fremont scheduled for next week, I'm going to try to get it out of them, if someone from the factory could give me any sort of confirmation that the interior refresh will happen this year. I'll report back my findings.

We have a Model 3 in the house. I do NOT like the interior. IMHO it goes too far along the path of removing physical controls like wipers, limits the configurability of the interface (right thumbwheel controls speed using Autopilot but does NOTHING if Autopilot is off), and reducing the display area and flexibility. And oh my God, the air vents... I hate, loathe, and despise that long single air vent on the Model 3, because I can't just adjust the air... I need to touch the screen to bring up the A/C dialog, then touch and drag my finger to move the air vent to what I want. Annoying, stupid design that almost forces the driver into a distraction from the road, and even as a passenger I hate it. (My daughter loves it, and it's her car, so the M3 still has a happy owner and we know it's a matter of personal preference.)

To me, the perfect car is the Raven: current interior, best-available batteries and motors. The free Ludicrous update made sure I ordered quickly. But I'd hate to see the S get a 3 interior... it would be a big loss in usability, luxury, and comfort.

I personally prefer the M3 interior so I'm waiting for the interior refresh. It all just comes down to your interior preference. If you prefer the M3 interior, wait, it shouldn't be that long. I've got a factory tour in Fremont scheduled for next week, I'm going to try to get it out of them, if someone from the factory could give me any sort of confirmation that the interior refresh will happen this year. I'll report back my findings.

The folks in the factory will most likely get fired if they give you an honest answer - Tesla is very nervous about Osbourning, and mostly for good reason.

I've read that for the factory tour you're asked to sign an NDA and not talk about what they show you, too.

I just did the same thing. I came from an early 2017 MX and personally like the 2 screen layout. The extra performance, range and suspension sealed the deal. Ordering now secures the federal tax credit and I get the free ludicrous mode. I basically purchased this performance model for the same money as my old 90D (non-performance). With Tesla you can keep waiting for what’s around the corner, that will drive you mad. I love the car. Most fun thing I’ve ever purchased.

Reactions: davezforce
As a quick complement to my previous post in this thread, two other things to consider:

1. Most other people I've spoken to seem to love the long, single air vent and the way you adjust the vents on-screen. I hate it, but among my family and friends I seem to be in a minority. And in the end, Tesla should do whatever sells them a bunch of cars, so hey.

2. The build quality of our Model 3 is superb, easily head and shoulders above my 2017 MX. It feels as solid and well-put-together as a Mercedes, which is a high compliment in this regard. And while my 2017 MX was not as good (in build quality) as our new 2019 M3, it was itself leaps and bounds ahead of my 2013 MS. One of the things I love about Tesla is that they keep improving everything... today's MS may look the same as the MS from three years ago, but it isn't.