Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer Vs Seller S-75D question on the price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this For Sale section and wasn't getting much traction. I'm posting this here to get views of possible buyer/seller on what's worth and what's ludicrous (pun intended)
When I tried building a Model S it only shows me the default long range which is 100D as per the Tesla Salesman.
When I visited a showroom he was able to find many Model S-75D standard range with less than 50 miles in the state of TX.
The price of them was lil' bit shy of 74,500.

When I search here or other websites for pre-owned Tesla Model S-75D sold by various private seller or at a dealer they are almost asking more than 62k$.

I certainly do agree that when the owners purchased their Facelift Model S-75 D and added extra money for all options such as SAS,SBZ,UHDS, & many more which almost got their Model S price to a range of 86000-89000$.
Now that Tesla offers all of those accessories as standard in a car, Should the sellers be selling the price based on the revised new pricing by Tesla or should they still be sticking to their original build sheet price and take 20% depreciation for year 1 & 10% for year 2, so and so forth...

I'm really confused about the Tesla used market pricing and not able to figure out what is a good price

I'm really confused about the Tesla used market pricing and not able to figure out what is a good price

You're not alone, it's a constantly changing playing field.

You can never go by what price someone originally paid for their car.

You can only really go by the current market price, whatever that is.

Currently A LOT of people are underwater comparing what they paid+depreciation to the current market price.

Used cars from Tesla will tend to be slightly higher due to the Pre-Owned Extended limited warranty they offer.

It's also hard to go by what private sellers are asking for their cars because they're basing it on MSRP+depreciation, which is not reflective of new car pricing or the current downward pressure on the used market.

What it might come down to is your own personal values -- is some car you are considering worth the asking price? Does it meet all your criteria? Is the price negotiable?

But keep in mind that whenever you do buy a car, the market will continue to depreciate and better and better deals will appear for the same car you just bought. That's just the Tesla purchase reality (as it is with most technologies).

The P85D I bought two years ago is now selling for 50% of what I paid. But I love the car and have no plans to sell it anytime soon. It did and still does meet all my needs, so I'm happy.

Reactions: shrini23
First of all everything is for sale for whatever the market will bear at the time. Maybe even what one person will bear in a given market if someone really wants whatever it is.

75Ds in 2016 FULLY loaded to the gills were 99,000. Extended range, extra charger onboard, color combo etc drove the pricing then to 99,000 plus.

That being said really 75D pricing could be everywhere. I own one the Monroney(actually I have two monroneys, one when it was a 70D and one after the range upgrade and rebadge) said 99 plus.

I paid 82, because they knew they could not move that car at that price even in 2016, I considered it a good deal. What the market or a person will bear. Uh also it was the end of the quarter and it was a showroom car. "remember, nobody gets good deals on cars not even me or my family and friends, everyone pays full price". Sure they do.

TO me, my car is worth 55-60 easy. Minus the little non-consequential items they have fixed(many), that car has never been unreliable in any way ever. I was driving it last night with the sunroof open and just hitting green lights one after another and it was as smooth as butter.

Tesla on Trade how much you think they would give me?

Sell it privately once I find a qualified buyer/actual buyer?
37,000 miles

I have my own ideas of what its worth, but I'm dreaming for sure. Hesitant to buy a new car. This car is working fine and Im a hit and run supercharge person. Having a huge battery today is really for the faint at heart crowd. I'm in after them and out before they leave charging.

Last edited:
You're not alone, it's a constantly changing playing field.

You can never go by what price someone originally paid for their car.

You can only really go by the current market price, whatever that is.

Currently A LOT of people are underwater comparing what they paid+depreciation to the current market price.

Used cars from Tesla will tend to be slightly higher due to the Pre-Owned Extended limited warranty they offer.

It's also hard to go by what private sellers are asking for their cars because they're basing it on MSRP+depreciation, which is not reflective of new car pricing or the current downward pressure on the used market.

What it might come down to is your own personal values -- is some car you are considering worth the asking price? Does it meet all your criteria? Is the price negotiable?

But keep in mind that whenever you do buy a car, the market will continue to depreciate and better and better deals will appear for the same car you just bought. That's just the Tesla purchase reality (as it is with most technologies).

The P85D I bought two years ago is now selling for 50% of what I paid. But I love the car and have no plans to sell it anytime soon. It did and still does meet all my needs, so I'm happy.
well said....most paid too much as tesla drops prices every few months and offers more options included so its a losing game for any buyer in general. Once you jump in just drive it till it dies cause good luck getting anywhere near what you paid.

Pricing seems to mostly work out for people moving from one Tesla to another.

If the price of a new car drops, then often the used market will drop as will. The delta will remain relatively constant.

Nice to see the the resale for the less expensive configurations has remained relatively high.