Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair Price 2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been thinking about selling my Model S LR 2023. Tried to get some offers online from different websites Car max/Carvana/Give me the VIN) Most offers range from 58 to 62k. Seem pretty low to me. What would be a fair price If I sell privately?

Ultra Red
21" Wheels
White Interior
FSD
2100 miles

Reactions: Msicario
Been thinking about selling my Model S LR 2023. Tried to get some offers online from different websites Car max/Carvana/Give me the VIN) Most offers range from 58 to 62k. Seem pretty low to me. What would be a fair price If I sell privately?

Ultra Red
21" Wheels
White Interior
FSD
2100 miles
Were you able to do those all online? With just a VIN.

Tesla offered $46 for my 22 with FSD $15K miles.

I tried Kelly Blue Book and would not give me an answer. Accept a lot of my hone calls and emails from dealers.

I think CarMax said I had to bring it in. Which seems to always happen with them.

Ultra Red
21" Wheels
White Interior
FSD
2100 miles

With a brand new 2024 Model S selling for $74,990 - instant $7,500 tax credit ($67,490), and other State and Utility rebates, it seems that those used pricing is not out of line. FSD is usually stripped off resales, and those companies needing to mark your car up to make a profit your offers seem reasonable. You could expect to perhaps get several thousand $ more by selling privately.
Currently both new and used cars (both EV and ICE) are dropping in price. Selling privately your FSD, Red paint, large wheels and low mileage might find an eager buyer that will be unqualified for the $7,500 instant tax credit. Little extra bump if your car was produced in late 23 than early 23.

With a brand new 2024 Model S selling for $74,990 - instant $7,500 tax credit ($67,490), and other State and Utility rebates, it seems that those used pricing is not out of line. FSD is usually stripped off resales, and those companies needing to mark your car up to make a profit your offers seem reasonable. You could expect to perhaps get several thousand $ more by selling privately.
Currently both new and used cars (both EV and ICE) are dropping in price.
Wait there's a instant credit for Model S right now?

Reactions: cptnslo
Wait there's a instant credit for Model S right now?

Uh no.

I think unclepaul may be on one of this binges again.

1708026856243.png

Reactions: cptnslo and morbidz
With a brand new 2024 Model S selling for $74,990 - instant $7,500 tax credit ($67,490), and other State and Utility rebates, it seems that those used pricing is not out of line.
OP's configuration costs $97,630 today from Tesla. There is no $7500 tax credit.

Are they gonna get anywhere near that? No. But they can certainly do better than a ~40% loss.

Ultra Red
21" Wheels
White Interior
FSD
2100 miles

I have very recently sold a Model 3, Model S, and now a Model Y. I sold all of them privately. I listed all of them on eBay classified, AutoTrader, Cars.com, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and findmyelectric.com. And I tried one on the classifieds here.

Do not waste your time with findmyelectric or the classifieds here. Most of the Tesla's for sale on findmyelectric have been listed for 2 years, so their listings are polluted and you won't find any buyers. Don't ever post it here. Nothing but insane lowballers that will just piss you off.

Craigslist, AutoTrader, and Facebook got the most potential buyers. But AutoTrader is the best for gauging what you can get based on all the other asking prices. Most Facebook listings have stupid, fake prices for some reason. They will list your car for $5000, but that's really the down payment or some asinine payment.

AutoTrader costs around $80 to list the car, but if someone buys it through them, they act like a dealer for you and the buyer can pay through them electronically and they will do all the DMV paperwork. That costs a percentage, but honestly, it's pretty good value for the extra security of having an escrow.

So look up comparable cars on AutoTrader to answer your pricing question. If you price your car on the low end of the comparables, you'll get a lot of interest and make a quick sale. The first 2 I sold at full asking price, and the last one, I only took a $1000 off. Two of the cars, including the Model S, were bought sight unseen from out of state.

I made so much more money than trading in, but it was a lot of work, even though all the cars sold within a couple weeks and I had buyers lining up.

BTW, the FSD is going to be one of your top financial mistakes of your life. It's worth next to nothing on the used car market, so don't get hung up that it was once $15K of value when finding comparables. It will help close a sale though.

I am officially done with Tesla ownership by me or any family members. Tesla earned my loss of business in every way possible. I'm still fascinated with where the company and the cars are going, but they are a hot mess, and I would never recommend any of their products.

Red on white, 21 inches are not exactly great for resale. In fact you will probably have a hard time even at the same price compared to a black on black. However, you should be able to get 1k - 2k more for FSD selling private.

I found the opposite selling 3 Tesla's recently, 2 red/white and 1 red/tan. Lots of people excited with the combo. The Model Y I just sold was purchased as a Valentine's Day gift for his wife, and the red/white was a big selling point for him.

Red on white, 21 inches are not exactly great for resale. In fact you will probably have a hard time even at the same price compared to a black on black. However, you should be able to get 1k - 2k more for FSD selling private.
1-2K definitely wouldn’t be worth selling private. It’s a big headache / risk / time selling a newish Tesla private. I think it would be more like 5-10K.

1-2K definitely wouldn’t be worth selling private. It’s a big headache / risk / time selling a newish Tesla private. I think it would be more like 5-10K.

He was just talking about the resale value of FSD. Are you talking about the whole car?

My Tesla trade in value for my 2023 Model S LR was around $56K, and I sold the car for $69,420. I didn't have FSD. It was well worth the effort to private sell it, but I actually enjoy most of the process. Model S buyers seem like a reasonable crowd. Model Y buyers are not.

Last edited:

Ultra Red
21" Wheels
White Interior
FSD
2100 miles
Do you need to sell the car or just are dissatisfied with it? You’re going to take a more hit not matter what. It’s just a question of how bad.

But a private sale to an individual would likely get you the most. But also the most hassle and risk at sale.

Ultra Red
21" Wheels
White Interior
FSD
2100 miles

I'd take that and run to the bank as fast as you can. Unfortunately kbb, insurance companies, and car buying companies don't credit value for FSD since it's the only difference between a car with FSD and without is a software switch to enable the existing FSD hardware present on all S'. Your best bet is to sell it privately to someone who really wants FSD. If you do that, you'll likely get $75K to $80K.

Last edited: