Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR vs Plaid X - Price?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order for a new Plaid Model X a few days ago and I can't believe the pricing deal I received relative to what I remembered when I bought my refresh model S (one of the first ones).

I just rebuild my current LR Model S on the site - Red, Cream, Yoke, upgraded wheels and it was 98,500?!

My plaid, with white, cream, yoke, 6 seats is only 111,000?

So you are telling me the X Plaid is only 13,000 more than my LR S? Wild - feels like I'm missing something?

When I ordered my LR S, the Plaid X was like 45k more?!

Reactions: bnsfengineer
A new ultra red MS with cream interior, yoke steering and 21" wheels has $9,750 in options bringing the total price to $99,880.
A new white MX Plaid with cream interior and yoke steering has $2,250 in options bringing the total price to $112,380.

This is a difference of $12,500. The price difference would be $21,000 if both had upgraded wheels and the same color.

New existing inventory cars would be thousands cheaper (depending on stock availability).

However, the price differences between "regular" and "Plaid" models have indeed narrowed with this year's price cuts.

Last edited:
I placed my order for a new Plaid Model X a few days ago and I can't believe the pricing deal I received relative to what I remembered when I bought my refresh model S (one of the first ones).

I just rebuild my current LR Model S on the site - Red, Cream, Yoke, upgraded wheels and it was 98,500?!

So you are telling me the X Plaid is only 13,000 more than my LR S? Wild - feels like I'm missing something?

They narrowed the gap between for the X LR and X Plaid to a lot half of that for the S. It is a no brainer to buy the Plaid over the LR if considering the X other than a major gotcha that kept me from buying one.

I was considering the X Plaid until I found out the ONLY seating config is the 6 seater. I'd probably have been fine with that until I found you can't fold the middle rows of seats forward or flat to have a flat area to haul anything. That defeats a major purpose of having an SUV for me. Another stupid Tesla design decision. No option any more to get the 7 seat version with the Plaid.

That aspect and driving one for several hundred miles made me realize I'll keep an S over the X. What did they think when designing the sun visor setup in that thing? There are thongs bigger than the sun visor the X comes with.

I drove for about an hour going due west, and I felt like I was in a fishbowl that could never escape the sun. The S allows you pretty easily to escape the sun. The visor is closer and bigger on the S, and you have the front of the roof that's covered. The X I couldn't escape the sun at all and my forehead was nicely sunburnt. That is after spending a lot of time in the hot Texas sun this summer.

Those 2 flaws were pretty much fatal for me and the horrendous driving dynamics were the final nails in the coffin. My kid did love how the doors would wave and my wife liked the auto door opening.

For the current pricing though it does seem like a bargain.

Day Trippin - I guess it’s personal preference. At first I thought the sun visor was too small - then discovered the flip down portion. I don’t understand why a narrow visor does the trick, but it works for me just fine. Although I’ve not had to, I wonder if raising the seat will help when the sun is low on the horizon. Also, the tint on the upper portion of the windshield is great for keeping the glare down, so there’s no issue above the level of the visor. I assume your sunburned forehead was due to reasons other than driving into the sun.:) What I don’t get is your comment about the “horrendous driving dynamics.” Say what?
I agree that it would be better to have a 5-seat configuration for the X Plaid. That alone kept me from getting the Plaid.

I did the mini flip down sun visor. DIdn't help at all. I tried angling it to at least get some blocking for my forehead. With how Tesla is about tinting roofs and warranty coverage, it would eliminate that as a route I'd consider.

I understand why they went with the 6 passenger as the only option to streamline production but who the heck was stupid enough to design an SUV with seats that don't fold down? I mean really? That is like having a pickup truck with a tailgate that won't open.

As for the driving dynamics, the X just felt ponderous and unwieldy. I had to make a u-turn in traffic right after getting it. I thought the turning radius on my S was bad, the X is even worse. So I have to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to make the u-turn and there is oncoming traffic so I am on the "gas" a bit. The right front wheel was tucking under as the whole car was rolling (I had it in sport mode for the suspension) and it felt like it was taking as much room to turn as my last Yukon XL. With the S you could just whip around the u-turn whereas with the X there was a lot more drama. Its not like I was trying to do it at 40 mph, maybe 15-20 and accelerating a bit through the turn.

Thankfully the battery pack is low to help with all this but Tesla didn't seem to sort out the ride and driving dynamics nearly as well as the S. Driving the X on the same roads as my S, back to back, the ride quality in the same suspension modes, or even trying to optimize it, the X wasn't nearly as comfortable. The X seemed to plow into bumps that my S handled a lot better and I am on 21's.

The X is probably great for a lot of people. I am glad I spent enough time in one to realize long-term I'd be unhappy with it. The same played out with my Y. I practically hated that car by the time I sold it. Bought the 3 to replace and about the same level of negative feelings I had toward it were replaced by the same level of positive feelings for the 3. For me, the 3 was far better than the Y to use on a daily despite such similar DNA. Thankfully I only have 1 kid still at home and not as much crap to tote around. :)

I did the mini flip down sun visor. DIdn't help at all. I tried angling it to at least get some blocking for my forehead. With how Tesla is about tinting roofs and warranty coverage, it would eliminate that as a route I'd consider.

I understand why they went with the 6 passenger as the only option to streamline production but who the heck was stupid enough to design an SUV with seats that don't fold down? I mean really? That is like having a pickup truck with a tailgate that won't open.

As for the driving dynamics, the X just felt ponderous and unwieldy. I had to make a u-turn in traffic right after getting it. I thought the turning radius on my S was bad, the X is even worse. So I have to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to make the u-turn and there is oncoming traffic so I am on the "gas" a bit. The right front wheel was tucking under as the whole car was rolling (I had it in sport mode for the suspension) and it felt like it was taking as much room to turn as my last Yukon XL. With the S you could just whip around the u-turn whereas with the X there was a lot more drama. Its not like I was trying to do it at 40 mph, maybe 15-20 and accelerating a bit through the turn.

Thankfully the battery pack is low to help with all this but Tesla didn't seem to sort out the ride and driving dynamics nearly as well as the S. Driving the X on the same roads as my S, back to back, the ride quality in the same suspension modes, or even trying to optimize it, the X wasn't nearly as comfortable. The X seemed to plow into bumps that my S handled a lot better and I am on 21's.

The X is probably great for a lot of people. I am glad I spent enough time in one to realize long-term I'd be unhappy with it. The same played out with my Y. I practically hated that car by the time I sold it. Bought the 3 to replace and about the same level of negative feelings I had toward it were replaced by the same level of positive feelings for the 3. For me, the 3 was far better than the Y to use on a daily despite such similar DNA. Thankfully I only have 1 kid still at home and not as much crap to tote around. :)
Yeah I get that. Certainly the seats can be a deal breaker for a lot of people but for us we HAD to have the 6 seat layout for two small kiddos who have a very hard time buckling the seat belts in the model S with a booster. (The buckles sit down very low in the new S).

So I guess I got lucky needing the 6 seat layout and it being included on the plaid. The only thing concerning me at all is all
This fuss I keep reading about the lack of front parking sensors? What is that all about?

So I guess I got lucky needing the 6 seat layout and it being included on the plaid. The only thing concerning me at all is all
This fuss I keep reading about the lack of front parking sensors? What is that all about?
If you like parking aids such as parking sensors (USS in Tesla speak) or something like a 360 view like other companies have, you'll be likely woefully disappointed with what Tesla has replaced USS with. They are using TV (TeslaVision) to try and replace the ultrasonic sensors that were pretty accurate before to save a few bucks.

Instead of these sensors, they are trying to use software along with the cameras to try and replace something that was specifically made from a hardware perspective to for its intended purpose. What you get is something that currently doesn't work near as well, and may never work as well, as the USS It is replacing. As a result, features in the FSD package aren't enabled, such as summons, smart summons, and autopark if you either buy or rent the FSD package.

Basically, the TV replacement is pretty inaccurate overall and there have been complaints that people who relied on it to help with parking their cars have hit things. Let's just be generous and say it isn't ready for prime time yet. I've tried it and wouldn't trust it. Maybe in a year from now, it would be better. If you have a car without USS, I'd suggest getting a front camera to help park.

Reactions: StevenSD
I agree on the turning radius of the X and wish it were smaller. I love the styling of the S and considered it, but the low rake of the A pillar made it tough for these old bones to enter and exit the car. For my situation (long road trips and hauling stuff between two homes) the X offers more flexibility and an extremely spacious and comfortable interior.

I hear you about the A pillar, I think/hope I have another 10 years before I may have to consider the X. ;)

Sounds like the X is a good fit for you. I just put a hitch on the three and may on the S so I can use my bumper carrier as needed.

Reactions: SantaFeSpence

The X is a better deal than the S if you consider you are getting a bigger vehicle with more seats and the falcon doors which I'm sure are expensive as well. It's been like this for a while.

To make it even crazier if you option out an X LR and get the 6 seat option it is only $3500 cheaper than the Plaid!

If you actually think about it though the ONLY difference between the LR and Plaid is the rear motor(s). I know I am minimizing this difference but the rest of the car is literally the exact same car!

The front motor cost is very similar between LR and Plaid. Someone did a part lookup and cost of the front motor and the cost was the same between the Plaid and LR.

The point I am making is I dont actually think it costs much more to build a Plaid v. LR for Tesla. The cost difference is truly the rear motor(s) which probably is in the ballpark of $3500 more for the extra motor setup. Its crazy they were charging $40k premium when first introduced which was straight up mark up.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Yeah I get that. Certainly the seats can be a deal breaker for a lot of people but for us we HAD to have the 6 seat layout for two small kiddos who have a very hard time buckling the seat belts in the model S with a booster. (The buckles sit down very low in the new S).

The biggest complaint about the Plaid is that you are locked into the non fold-flat seat option. If Tesla wants to sell more Plaid its really super simple. Offer the other options. Why streamline the Plaid anymore? It might have made sense when they first came out but pretty sure supply has caught up to demand now.

There are so many even in this club who didnt get the Plaid just for that one reason. Please don't take the"utility" away from a sport utility vehicle.

Ultimately figure out a way to fold the 6 seater model flat. There are dozens of other vehicles that can do this! It's not rocket science! Oh and throw in an arm rest will ya!

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek

How we feeling about that price/deal now? 🫣

Model X 2023 Price Cuts.jpg

How we feeling about that price/deal now? 🫣

View attachment 973705
Thanks for the info. Interesting to see it in a table like this.

This doesn't even include the price cuts from the end of 2022. People who bought the Plaid at the peak paid $50k more than what they would pay today! The fact that Tesla can still make money on a Plaid after a $50k price cut shows how badly they were gouging their customers.

As I have said a LOT in another post regarding this. My conclusion is this.
  • Many people (myself included) make the assumption that without dealers you are getting a more honest, consistent price. This is not the case. Tesla is price gouging their customers much more so than any other car manufacturer.
  • When a dealer upcharges, it's easy to see how much over MSRP they are marking up. With Telsa this mark up is invisible so a customer isn't aware how much they are getting ripped off.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
At current pricing, Tesla offers great value on all their cars, compared to other EVs.

Purchasing a base Model X and qualifying for both Federal Tax Credits, plus Section 179 and accelerated depreciation, makes them financial no brainers for profitable small company owners.

California also gives a $2,000 clean vehicle rebate and you can self refer for another $500. Get out your checkbooks.

If rebates are not applicable to you, the Plaids are currently pretty cost effective, compared to a long range. You get more performance per dollar than most any other auto manufacturer with premium performance models (BMW M, AMG, Jaguar, Audi, Cadillac, Porsche, etc)

Better brakes, carbon fiber wound high performance motors, 3rd motor, electronic torque vectoring and badging. Good NBerg performance and awsome street cred.

Reactions: NJturtlePower