Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a car out of you area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, I am new to this Forum and want purchase a used Tesla sometime during spring and Summer of 2017. I am in the Bay area.
My question si this if you find a car in different area (State) How are buyers getting the car to them? Are they shipping them and how much is that cost
Thanks you so much

Greetings, I am new to this Forum and want purchase a used Tesla sometime during spring and Summer of 2017. I am in the Bay area.
My question si this if you find a car in different area (State) How are buyers getting the car to them? Are they shipping them and how much is that cost
Thanks you so much

Well, let me tell you about my tesla acquisition :)

I live in colorado, the base prices are higher here for teslas in the used market than other parts of the country. I found my perfect model s with everything I wanted for options for sale by a private seller in Seattle WA 10k less than I would have paied locally. I bought a cheap 1 way plane ticket (less than $200) out there and met with the owner and bought it directly from them. I had already done tons of research on tesla and features/how it drives before hand and drove it home, only took 1 day off work (friday) to do so and had it home by late saturday. Most epic buy and drive away experience ever, didnt sleep much and pretty much drove non stop napping while supercharging. No regrets!

I hit just about every supercharger between NJ and NC. The Jersey turnpike sucked at 5pm :(
No issues using any of the superchargers. In fact, drove all the way down without a plate.
I would do it again for the amount of money saved.

Any members here in California buy an out of state vehicle and drive it back? Curious as I just purchased the 70d on here and possibly planning on flying out there (SD) next thur or Fri and wondering if there's anything that needs to be done on our end before we head out.

Thanks!

Yes - from the Bay Area and bought an 85D from someone on the east coast, car had 9k miles on it. Wired the money and arranged for a enclosed car carrier ($1800) which provided door to door delivery. Would have been fun to do the Great American Road Trip and fly out and drive it back but I just can't spare that much downtime right now.

I wired the money to the seller and he fedex'ed me the signed title, one of the keys and a nicely done bill of sale that detailed out the mileage, price, etc.

Took about 10 days to get the car. Car was delivered to here on the Peninsula at about 7am and I drove it to work that day.

Had to make an appointment with the DMV to get the mileage checked and transfer the title, pay the sales tax, walked out with license plates. Drove right over to Tesla in Burlingame with the new registration paperwork so they could transfer the warranty. They even put the plates (er, "plate") on for me. Done.

Pretty painless. The only sketchy part is sending a wire transfer for the full payment to someone you haven't met.

There are no shortage of Teslas in the Bay Area but like most cars, I find better deals out of state. People in the Bay Area have a pretty inflated opinion of resale on their cars be it a Tesla or a Honda.

I've bought maybe 6 or so cars out of state, from boring SUVs to new AMG Mercedes and never had an issue, just be sure to ask enough questions so you are satisfied. You can also check the seller on LinkedIn and other sites to make sure they all seem legit. I've passed on deals where the seller doesn't seem like the kind that would own that kind of car. The cell phone kiosk guy shouldn't be selling a $100k car unless there is something totally sketchy about it. Another deal will _always_ come along if you are willing to look anywhere in the lower 48 states.

I bought one in Salt Lake City and drove it back which was fun but to do a cross-country trip, especially one that required charger stops would have to be your big summer vacation. Would be a lot of fun if you have the time.

Last edited:
Any members here in California buy an out of state vehicle and drive it back? Curious as I just purchased the 70d on here and possibly planning on flying out there (SD) next thur or Fri and wondering if there's anything that needs to be done on our end before we head out.

Thanks!
Are you going to pay the extra $4k and get the extended warranty (ESA)? I think it's "now or never" as the original owner must purchase it. Once you own it, that option vanishes. If I'm incorrect, someone please enlighten me as I'm in the same situation.