Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUYING A CPO From Tesla- Experience from "Rich Rebuilds"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting to cars for sale, because this is one of the main pages I look at to see if I can find a deal.

I also check out EV Hunter, and TRUecar regularly.

That said, if this is the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I watched the videos leading up to this one, but am just posting the lastest. If you are wondering if you should buy CPO, or, if you were wondering how the process works from pressing "BUY" on the tesla website until delivery, well, just watch this video:

Posting to cars for sale, because this is one of the main pages I look at to see if I can find a deal.

I also check out EV Hunter, and TRUecar regularly.

That said, if this is the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I watched the videos leading up to this one, but am just posting the lastest. If you are wondering if you should buy CPO, or, if you were wondering how the process works from pressing "BUY" on the tesla website until delivery, well, just watch this video:

YMMV

My experience was much different and yes, it wasn't like traditional dealerships and i had to wait a month too but Rich got the worst experience possible and the best opportunity for making content on his plight.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I had a vastly different experience in the midwest, but I did purchase before the large Q4 push on shipping model 3s. My CPO rep originally cautioned me that shipping could be delayed because model 3s have priority. Getting the car start to finish from clicking request photos to delivery was 11 days all in all. I feel like one of the lucky few, Tesla needs to step it up like Rich mentions.

I had a vastly different experience in the midwest, but I did purchase before the large Q4 push on shipping model 3s. My CPO rep originally cautioned me that shipping could be delayed because model 3s have priority. Getting the car start to finish from clicking request photos to delivery was 11 days all in all. I feel like one of the lucky few, Tesla needs to step it up like Rich mentions.

I unfortunately did not even receive photos in 11 days.

The process is horribly broken and needs to be fixed because it needlessly delays Tesla from being able to sell these cars sooner. What's the harm done to Tesla's reputation after these awful CPO experience videos have been viewed millions of times?

If I had an inventory of over 1,500 cars to sell with each car depreciating about $40 day and fleet depreciation of over $2,000,0000 a month, I would provide the best possible customer service, do light refurbishing when needed, and move those cars ASAP.

Because they will soon have hundreds more cars to sell and their current CPO inventory is probably worth over $100 million. I just can't understand why they can't invest a modest sum of money to clean up and refurbish these cars to move that inventory. Are they going to keep this same horrible broken system when they have an additional $100 million of CPO inventory?o_O

I wish they would setup a separate department that is adequately staffed so they can run the CPO more efficiently to generate revenue.

They keep talking about production efficiency. Someone at Tesla should look at the horrible inefficiencies of their CPO program that impedes their revenue as well as provide an awful experience for customers when both aspects can be improved.

Reactions: Inside and darxsys
To avoid confusion people need to understand this is not CPO, certified pre owned. Tesla stopped using that term when they stopped fixing cosmetic issues. The vehicles are only mechanically inspected.

It does not matter what they call it and I doubt their customers give a rat's behind what they call it.

They should treat their customers at least as well as a Kia dealer by offering a quality product you can drive home in dignity without having to take your car to a body shop as if you picked up the car from a junkyard or it has been in an accident the day you bought it.

Last edited:
It does not matter what they call it. They should treat their customers at least as well as a Kia dealer.
You must have had good look at your kia dealer. My kia has horrid service, long wait times and horrible prices. Much prefer Tesla.
My post wasn't about what it is called, it is about what is expected. Should not be expecting non mechanical issues fixed.

Last edited:
You must have had good look at your kia dealer. My kia has horrid service, long wait times and horrible prices. Much prefer Tesla.
My post wasn't about what it is called, it is about what is expected. Should not be expecting non mechanical issues fixed.

Oh please. No one gives tow shillings what the Tesla CPO program is called.

People do care they are treated awfully with cars presented to them for purchase that look like they came from a junk yard with actual holes in bumpers and mangled/damaged body panels.

I understand you are perfectly fine paying $60K for a used car that that merely functions "mechanically." While you are happy with your standards, apparently other people have different standards for what is acceptable. :rolleyes:

It's rich for you to complain about Kia when the following is what Kia provides when you buy a used car:

{{mctrl.meta.metaTitle}}

If only Tesla buyers can have the same peace of mind in mind a buying a quality refurbished car. And we are not even talking about the used cars offered for sale by BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche in the same price segment as Tesla.

When buying a used Tesla, this is what you get:
  • No actual photos with the car listing
  • No CarMax with the car listing.
  • No vehicle history or if/when the annual services were performed.
  • No test drive.
  • No personal inspection.
  • No reconditioning.
  • Unknown delivery period -- could be weeks or months.
  • No clue what condition the car is in.
  • But hey, you get to buy and pay insurance for your sight unseen car because showing proof of insurance is part of the delivery process before you have even seen the car.
It takes an exceptional apologist to find excuses for the poor treatment of customers and not realize what an awful nightmare it is buy a car with the current broken mess.

If they would just run a decent and efficient CPO program with quality cars, they would probably sell these cars more efficiently and bring in more revenue without having their reputation needlessly tarnished.

They should not treat customers like what you see on the video below and from other experiences shared on the forums, we know this video is not an isolated incident. The whole process of purchasing a CPO cars is broken and they should fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: darxsys and ACA Man
I don’t think a handful of examples one way or another can really define whether the used car program in general is good or bad. I keep on saying it, but with Tesla, i think it’s a luck of the draw with both used and new purchase experiences. I bought both used and new, and my used purchase was a lot better (even though it is older build date than my new) build quality wise and overall buying experience.
My used purchase was even two days before the end of a quarter at the Fremont location. So, not a small location.

For my used purchase, I received the following:
- about 2 dozen high quality pictures (although with some other VINs I asked for only had a couple low quality pictures)
- Carfax report
- full interior and exterior cleaning (center screen was wiped, carpet floors seemed to have been all vacuumed, wheels were thoroughly cleaned, etc, no visible dirt anywhere)
- walkthrough and explanation of features
- fully charged battery
- just 1.5 hour past my scheduled pick up time

My new purchase experience was unpleasant, and so Im happy I went the used route and received a very pleasant experience. I would buy another used when the time comes based on my experience. But, again, I know it’s a crapshoot so I will go in with low expectations probably heh. Plus, the depreciation is crazy. Almost half off of retail price for a low mile, 24-month old car.

Last edited:
I think the Tesla used/CPO experience varies based on the price of the actual vehicle. If you go on ev-cpo.com and sort the vehicles by price, there's a huge price range / price spread even if the vehicles are relatively similar (i.e. Model S 85, 2014). I'm guessing the different Tesla used purchase experience might depend heavily on the used car's price.

If the car is a cheap used one (i.e. like Rich said in his videos that he bought the cheapest Model X on Tesla's website), then the buying process is probably contracted through a 3rd party. If a vehicle is an expensive used one, chances are, Tesla might be doing processing in-house and hence a better experience.

Regardless, I'd been reading horror stories online of people with the Tesla used car buying experience (ever since they got rid of the CPO program) and now watching Rich's video series. I've been thoroughly turned away from buying used from Tesla. Now, it's trying to find a good private party car with what I want (which is very hard probably) vs buying brand new (which is horrible depreciation and much higher out of pocket cost). Maybe I'll give up and push my Tesla purchase a few more years out after they've gotten their act together. It's unfortunate for TSLA shareholders as a well-run CPO / used car program at other brands often have much higher margins than even new cars. I really wish Tesla would take a hard look at improving their CPO program for the sake of us (TSLA shareholders).

I watched the video. It's a real eye opener. Tesla's used car program is just as messed up as their service centers.

In the old days you could call the SC and talk to someone at the service center you dialled. Now, you can't get a hold of a person and ask any questions.

They don't answer emails either.

If it wasn't for their super charging network I'd buy a different brand. Tesla's a PITA.

I think the Tesla used/CPO experience varies based on the price of the actual vehicle. If you go on ev-cpo.com and sort the vehicles by price, there's a huge price range / price spread even if the vehicles are relatively similar (i.e. Model S 85, 2014). I'm guessing the different Tesla used purchase experience might depend heavily on the used car's price.

If the car is a cheap used one (i.e. like Rich said in his videos that he bought the cheapest Model X on Tesla's website), then the buying process is probably contracted through a 3rd party. If a vehicle is an expensive used one, chances are, Tesla might be doing processing in-house and hence a better experience.

Regardless, I'd been reading horror stories online of people with the Tesla used car buying experience (ever since they got rid of the CPO program) and now watching Rich's video series. I've been thoroughly turned away from buying used from Tesla. Now, it's trying to find a good private party car with what I want (which is very hard probably) vs buying brand new (which is horrible depreciation and much higher out of pocket cost). Maybe I'll give up and push my Tesla purchase a few more years out after they've gotten their act together. It's unfortunate for TSLA shareholders as a well-run CPO / used car program at other brands often have much higher margins than even new cars. I really wish Tesla would take a hard look at improving their CPO program for the sake of us (TSLA shareholders).

Actually, it does not. We know that fir a fact because once a forum member rejected a car because it was in such poor shape and they listed the car back up for around $15K more than what it was originally listed for. They sometimes increase the cost of their CPO cars overnight by $10-$15K so the price is no indication about the condition of the cars as the prices are all over the place.

Totally agree with you that every carmaker besides Tesla makes great margins on their CPO programs and they do that while offering customers a buying experience that is oftentimes indistinguishable from buying a new car and the CPO cars they sell are in immaculate condition.

Perhaps the reason the other carmakers make a profit, oftentimes more than the profit they make for new cars, is because they run an efficient CPO program with quality cars that are turned around and sold ASAP. You contrast that to Tesla's approach where cars languish at Manheim or some other lot for months because they can't be bothered to do some light reconditioning or give assurance to a customer that they are buying an undamaged car and I bet that affects their margins. You take a car that is depreciating $1,500 a month and then it sits damaged as no one wants to buy a damaged car and 3 months later they are down $4,500 plus the interest on the money tied up in the car -- so they are already down $4,500 because they wanted to save the $2,000 to refurbish the car.

Reactions: Inside
My delivery experience was terrible for a new Tesla, so I'm nervous to buy a used one from them.

My new purchase experience was unpleasant as well, but my used purchase was fantastic.

All the hate here about their used program based on a few other’s experiences, but most have not even tried it yet personally. At least with used, you get pictures (albeit some not as good as others), do you can skip a VIN whereas you’re stuck with a certain VIN when buying new.

• Disagree
Reactions: darxsys
My new purchase experience was unpleasant as well, but my used purchase was fantastic.

All the hate here about their used program based on a few other’s experiences, but most have not even tried it yet personally. At least with used, you get pictures (albeit some not as good as others), do you can skip a VIN whereas you’re stuck with a certain VIN when buying new.

Well I have tried it out personally and it is awful. Don't try to minimize how awfully broken the whole CPO/used/WhateverTheywantToCallIt process is. This is not an isolated matter and there are dozens of complaints documenting how awful this whole process is.

Rather than pretend there is no problem, we should implore our favorite company to do the right thing and offer a car buying experience that is at least on par with the experience a customer would get when buying a $17,000 CPO Kia as those Kia customers get to buy a refurbished undamaged car that they can buy and drive home in peace without having to take the car to a body shop as if the car was in an accident the moment they bought it.

Oh please. No one gives tow shillings what the Tesla CPO program is called.

People do care they are treated awfully with cars presented to them for purchase that look like they came from a junk yard with actual holes in bumpers and mangled/damaged body panels.

I understand you are perfectly fine paying $60K for a used car that that merely functions "mechanically." While you are happy with your standards, apparently other people have different standards for what is acceptable. :rolleyes:

It's rich for you to complain about Kia when the following is what Kia provides when you buy a used car:

{{mctrl.meta.metaTitle}}

If only Tesla buyers can have the same peace of mind in mind a buying a quality refurbished car. And we are not even talking about the used cars offered for sale by BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche in the same price segment as Tesla.

When buying a used Tesla, this is what you get:
  • No actual photos with the car listing
  • No CarMax with the car listing.
  • No vehicle history or if/when the annual services were performed.
  • No test drive.
  • No personal inspection.
  • No reconditioning.
  • Unknown delivery period -- could be weeks or months.
  • No clue what condition the car is in.
  • But hey, you get to buy and pay insurance for your sight unseen car because showing proof of insurance is part of the delivery process before you have even seen the car.
It takes an exceptional apologist to find excuses for the poor treatment of customers and not realize what an awful nightmare it is buy a car with the current broken mess.

If they would just run a decent and efficient CPO program with quality cars, they would probably sell these cars more efficiently and bring in more revenue without having their reputation needlessly tarnished.

They should not treat customers like what you see on the video below and from other experiences shared on the forums, we know this video is not an isolated incident. The whole process of purchasing a CPO cars is broken and they should fix it.

I guess Tesla forgot what Customer Servives mean.

Well I have tried it out personally and it is awful. Don't try to minimize how awfully broken the whole CPO/used/WhateverTheywantToCallIt process is. This is not an isolated matter and there are dozens of complaints documenting how awful this whole process is.

Rather than pretend there is no problem, we should implore our favorite company to do the right thing and offer a car buying experience that is at least on par with the experience a customer would get when buying a $17,000 CPO Kia as those Kia customers get to buy a refurbished undamaged car that they can buy and drive home in peace without having to take the car to a body shop as if the car was in an accident the moment they bought it.

Well, there are dozens of complaints with Tesla’s new purchase experience—including my own, and dozens of complaints when buying used and new cars from every other car brand. Even when we bought our Honda, BMW and Mercedes in the past, we had both good and bad experiences.

Like I said previously, it’s a crapshoot whether the service is good or not when buying a new or used Tesla.

One thing I would like at the Tesla service centers is some snacks and beverages besides just a dingy K-cup machine and a water dispenser. Heck, even my local Honda and Toyota provides one of those fancy espresso/coffee variety machines and granola bars or other snacks. But, that’s just a dream I guess haha :)