Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buying a pre-owned Tesla...need feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
please correct me if I'm wrong BUT, the most BASE 70D with absolutely NOTHING added is $87,200 + the $1,300 destination fee, which comes to $88,500. The $8,500 tax credit is applied AFTER you've paid the provincial and federal sales tax, so it's not a NET $8,500 you're saving, it's closer to $7,000 to the net price.

That means $81,500, not $77K

Fair enough. Most cars depreciate 20% first year, 15% second year. Even assuming that the 81.5K 70D and the fairly basic 60 in question are equivalent vehicles (and they're definitely not), you'd be looking at around 55K on a private sale. 74K is still very high.

But, as always, it's worth whatever you can get.

I posted on another thread about this but why is that P85 only $76k? Yes it has almost 29k on it, but seems out of line relative to the other CPO models. Makes me wonder if it was in an accident or something...

I answered you. Here is my reply:

So in Toronto there's a P85 for about $76k CAD, seems really low relative to where other CPO cars are priced... P85 in question
85 kWh Performance Model S P08819 | Tesla Motors Canada

There were 4 other P85 sold in the past few weeks for similar prices $74K-$76K according to :
Tesla CPO Consolidator

Some were a bit nicer with more options, so I don't see the white P85 as any more compelling than the others.

Still waiting to see something nice in the low $70K before I get serious about CPO, just can't see buying something for only $10K less than the 70D at $85K equipped the way I like.

OP Another option have you considered leasing??

"If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, lease it.” J.Paul Getty, billionaire oil tycoon.

I now always lease new cars, buying is too risky and you also benefit from cheaper purchase prices, interest rates and hide behind their guaranteed residuals.

Unless it's a used low depreciating item like a 911 I just couldn't take the risk. I also find service centre customer service far better when I the lease company books it in, always get a better loaner too!!

Fair enough. Most cars depreciate 20% first year, 15% second year. Even assuming that the 81.5K 70D and the fairly basic 60 in question are equivalent vehicles (and they're definitely not), you'd be looking at around 55K on a private sale. 74K is still very high.

But, as always, it's worth whatever you can get.

1) Tesla isn't most cars.

2) Please submit facts about your percentages. You're purely speculating

1) Tesla isn't most cars.

2) Please submit facts about your percentages. You're purely speculating

actually no... I googled it, and it's a rule of thumb hat popped up in a couple of locations. Google it yourself.

in any case, it doesn't matter to me. It think it's completely nuts to pay 74k for a 2 year old car with 41k on it when a new one and significantly better one can be had for 7k more. If you feel otherwise then that's fine. I hope that you're right and that that still holds when I look to sell my p85d in 3 years.