Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Lamborghini/Ferrari/or other supercar Vs. new 2020 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need the larger battery size to be able to pull the required power to hit the acceleration targets. The huge range is just a bonus.

It would be plenty quick enough regardless, given what the current S P100D can achieve with a 100 kWh pack. I would be happy with 200 mph and a 0-60 in around 2 seconds. What I don't really want is literally hundreds of kg of extra battery weight just to hit some largely irrelevant headline targets.

I'm not ultra-wealthy but I do plan to save up and someday get the new roadster, just won't be doing any of that 3 year kickstarter pre-depositing anymore like I did with the 3. It is pretty clear Tesla doesn't really care to offer any advantages to those who commit early other then maybe getting your car a week before the next but maybe at a higher price and lower quality. I'll be waiting until it is in full production mode and I can pay and pick-up within 4-6 weeks with all the initial issues worked out. It isn't like there is a tax credit for getting it early anymore anyways.

I'm not ultra-wealthy but I do plan to save up and someday get the new roadster, just won't be doing any of that 3 year kickstarter pre-depositing anymore like I did with the 3. It is pretty clear Tesla doesn't really care to offer any advantages to those who commit early other then maybe getting your car a week before the next but maybe at a higher price and lower quality. I'll be waiting until it is in full production mode and I can pay and pick-up within 4-6 weeks with all the initial issues worked out. It isn't like there is a tax credit for getting it early anymore anyways.

I'm not sure the Roadster 2020 will ever be a 4-6 week delivery car! Once released, I think the demand will outstrip supply by a huge margin and people will be flipping them at way over list price. A bit like you see happening with limited edition Porsche etc. It smacks of a car that you will need to order well ahead of time (maybe a year or 2) to avoid disappointment. And the better it is, the more that will apply!

I'm not sure the Roadster 2020 will ever be a 4-6 week delivery car! Once released, I think the demand will outstrip supply by a huge margin and people will be flipping them at way over list price. A bit like you see happening with limited edition Porsche etc. It smacks of a car that you will need to order well ahead of time (maybe a year or 2) to avoid disappointment. And the better it is, the more that will apply!
I would say that waiting 2 years is a good insurance against QC issues, esp when putting this kind of money towards a car. Like we saw with early models of the S/X and now 3, Tesla had to smoothen the wrinkles of each of their production vehicle.
Agreed, that this time has decreased with each production vehicle [ longest for S and shorter for 3] but there is no denying that there have been issues.
When I buy the roadster, its not going to be the first batch. I am happy to let people drive it for 2 years, flaunt it, resell at premium, scratch it, sleep with it, do whatever they want while I wait for them to test on their own dime for Tesla.

Reactions: groovyd

Same thing people said about the Model 3

Reactions: iCharge
So, I currently own a 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 with the R80 battery upgrade. I have over $100k in the car today.

I could easily have purchased a used Ferrari, but I did not, specifically because of the known and guaranteed maintenance costs of a Ferrari.

I am also a reservation holder for the 2020 Roadster.

When I finally get the car I will be 60 years old.

I fully intend to put about 100,000 miles on the car in the first five years of ownership. I will pre-pay Tesla for an extended maintenance agreement and my cost of ownership for the car will be negligible.

The thought of putting 100,000 miles on a Ferrari and expecting virtually no maintenance costs is an absurdity.

I'm pretty thrilled with my current Roadster and cannot wait to get the new one.

Once you have driven an electric sports car for a while, even the thought of owning an ICE sports car seems obscene.

demand will be relatively low and we don't know what supply will be but it shouldn't be much different to produce then a model S once they have a line up for it.

You can say that about most supercars, but usually supply is very limited in that price bracket. Tesla are very unlikely to flood the market with Roadsters. But your guess is as good as mine at this point. I'm merely suggesting that if you seriously want one I would order it at least a year before you want to be actually driving it! I'm not saying it's worth ordering one now (unless you really want an early example and that may already be too late) as it's still likely to be multiple years away from production.

Agreed on the understated Porsche image.
In fact I'm not sure which EV way to jump: (I'm never going back to flashy, noisy, 'brum-brum', manhood apologies :D )

Roadster 2020 ... fast, good looking, removable roof - but with heavy batteries and little pedigree in handling and particularly steering feel.
or
Porsche TayCan ('the star' formerly known as Mission-E) .. (Great looking, pedigree in handling and particularly steering feel, sustainable top speeds, many starts, and claims on Nurburgring (listen to Porsche PR guy) >

.. along with Nio ) But: fixed roof, not so outright 'smack-down' fast, ????
high_mission_e_concept_car_2015_porsche_ag-980x620.jpg

1st world problems eh ! :D

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and ICUDoc
You can say that about most supercars, but usually supply is very limited in that price bracket. Tesla are very unlikely to flood the market with Roadsters. But your guess is as good as mine at this point. I'm merely suggesting that if you seriously want one I would order it at least a year before you want to be actually driving it! I'm not saying it's worth ordering one now (unless you really want an early example and that may already be too late) as it's still likely to be multiple years away from production.

I wouldn't say that about most supercars because most are focused on the handmade-ness of the vehicle and coming from a manufacturer that doesn't produce mass market cars already. Tesla roadster seems different. It is more about sheer performance but not necessarily in a body that required a monk to polish it for a month.

I have no doubt as soon as the early adopters start receiving their cars I could order one and get it in short order, and like I said i'm in no rush to be the beta tester for that model.

In fact I'm not sure which EV way to jump: (I'm never going back to flashy, noisy, 'brum-brum', manhood apologies :D )

Roadster 2020 ... fast, good looking, removable roof - but with heavy batteries and little pedigree in handling and particularly steering feel.
or
Porsche TayCan ('the star' formerly known as Mission-E) .. (Great looking, pedigree in handling and particularly steering feel, sustainable top speeds, many starts, and claims on Nurburgring (listen to Porsche PR guy) >

Similar thoughts here. Porsche are rightly concerned about the weight of EV batteries and one of the main reasons why they chose to start with a larger GT type car rather than a 911 or Cayman. There was an interesting interview with their chief designer on that subject a few months ago. I don't have a link unfortunately.

or

.. along with Nio ) But: fixed roof, not so outright 'smack-down' fast, ????
View attachment 350627
1st world problems eh ! :D

Roadster is the future. Porsche is last century whether it's its ICE or electric vehicles. Not to mention the Roadster will smoke the Porsche in every matrix you can think of. Coming from Porsche myself I have no doubt it belongs to the history.

One good thing about eigther is I will have no problem with driving one to Costco, Not for Ferrari or Lambo though. Those have nothing but toy values.

Roadster is the future. Porsche is last century whether it's its ICE or electric vehicles. Not to mention the Roadster will smoke the Porsche in every matrix you can think of. Coming from Porsche myself I have no doubt it belongs to the history.

I'm a huge Tesla fanboy myself, but I'm not expecting the Roadster to smoke any serious Porsche around a track. I agree that in other metrics it is likely to be exceptional. I also agree that Porsche are old fashioned in many ways, but the 919 Nurburgring laptime was mind-blowing. 5:19 around there is insane! I know it's a full blown race car, but this is where they are strong, really strong!

I have no doubt it belongs to the history.

Yes, open the hood and you still find an ICE. Then you look around outside of the vehicle and Porsche has not pulled one permit to build a fast charging network, while Tesla has banks of maintained fast chargers from here to Florida with more being built every day. One company clings to the past, while the other pushes the bounds of the future.