Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and Tesla. I am looking to buy a used Tesla Model 3 and am doing my research; there is so much to learn. I want to find an affordable one—less than 30K with less than 30k miles. I understand there will be more choices if I look for models older than 2022; herein lies my question. Is there much difference between 2020/21 and 2022/23? I understand the older the vehicle, the potential for more miles. There is also the question of replacing the tires unless that has already been done.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ric

Is there much difference between 2020/21 and 2022/23?

Nah. Some might disagree with me though. Tesla makes changes all the time, not just when updating model-years.

Both of those dates *should* be refresh (heat pump). The 20/21s will have an Atom processor in the infotainment computer, while the 22/23s will have a faster Ryzen.

I have an Atom processor... totally sufficient. The car is fantastic. If you can score a Long Range for that price, that'd be great.

Get the car, get home charging, realize how much better a real EV is, and then live happily ever after.

Just want to add - there *are* other changes that happened between those years. Some of those things could be important to you, but overall you'll get 95% the same driving experience.

Heated steering wheel will be in the 22/23 but only in later 20/21s (heated wheels added early Spring 2021).

Nah. Some might disagree with me though. Tesla makes changes all the time, not just when updating model-years.

Both of those dates *should* be refresh (heat pump). The 20/21s will have an Atom processor in the infotainment computer, while the 22/23s will have a faster Ryzen.

I have an Atom processor... totally sufficient. The car is fantastic. If you can score a Long Range for that price, that'd be great.

Get the car, get home charging, realize how much better a real EV is, and then live happily ever after.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I bought a new to me early 2022 with the AMD processor, USS, acceleration boost with 26k miles for $30k private party.

I’d say it depends how long you’re going to own the car for. Tesla has come out and said some updates won’t be pushed to Atom cars. I prefer to have the sensors over the cameras but that’s hard to find because it’s very build date specific

I am looking to buy a used Tesla Model 3 and am doing my research; there is so much to learn. I want to find an affordable one—less than 30K with less than 30k miles.

Ric,
New ones go for high-30s before federal $7.5K (for which you may, or may not qualify).
It would be hard for me to recommend buying used for nearly the same price!!!

I understand there will be more choices if I look for models older than 2022; herein lies my question. Is there much difference between 2020/21 and 2022/23? I understand the older the vehicle, the potential for more miles.

More miles == more suspension degradation. At ~35K miles (+/- 10K) you will be replacing front upper control arms.
Thus, make sure you live near a Service Center, and that the car is still under warranty for at least the first FUCA swap.

There is also the question of replacing the tires unless that has already been done.

Tires are a wear item. On any car.
I would worry more about battery degradation, which is conditional on how the car had been charged throughout its past.
I would not consider buying ANY used EV without batter degradation test. Luckily, Tesla can do that, but it takes hours (aka overnight) and requires being plugged into an L2 charger for the duration.

Good luck,
a

Anyone that tracks details closely, what is the (subjective) most desirable Build Date Window for model 3?

If looking at both the LR and P, do the Early 22' have ~ identical dates on changes on both trims?

Like heated wipers with USS, Ryzen, and 16V LV?

And still in the window for lifetime standard connectivity?

i would want the model with matrix lights, heat pump, and amd ryzen processor. - lights you view with your eyes and the last 2 you can see displayed in the car computer's info page.

i thought the sonic parking sensors would be valuable, but turns out i like the camera-based Park Assist 3D render function very much.

Ric,
New ones go for high-30s before federal $7.5K (for which you may, or may not qualify).
It would be hard for me to recommend buying used for nearly the same price!!!

More miles == more suspension degradation. At ~35K miles (+/- 10K) you will be replacing front upper control arms.
Thus, make sure you live near a Service Center, and that the car is still under warranty for at least the first FUCA swap.

Tires are a wear item. On any car.
I would worry more about battery degradation, which is conditional on how the car had been charged throughout its past.
I would not consider buying ANY used EV without batter degradation test. Luckily, Tesla can do that, but it takes hours (aka overnight) and requires being plugged into an L2 charger for the duration.

Good luck,
a
Thank you for the information.

I was able to find a 2023 with 18k miles for $27k. I was checking Tesla.com every day cause there seems to be new listings very often. Personally, I wanted the youngest model year I could get, with the lowest miles I could get, with a good price. I jumped on mine as soon as I saw it. No regrets. Picked it up yesterday.

I will say, the buying process is not my favorite. But it would have been seamless had Navy Fed not try to put a wrench in things, but it wasn't really a big deal.

Reactions: father_of_6
I was able to find a 2023 with 18k miles for $27k. I was checking Tesla.com every day cause there seems to be new listings very often. Personally, I wanted the youngest model year I could get, with the lowest miles I could get, with a good price. I jumped on mine as soon as I saw it. No regrets. Picked it up yesterday.

I will say, the buying process is not my favorite. But it would have been seamless had Navy Fed not try to put a wrench in things, but it wasn't really a big deal.
I’ve found a few like the one you bought. I’m looking to buy some time in Aug. still need to get my garage cleaned and set up with home charging.

Reactions: cloroxbb

2020 is not refresh. That is a HUGE generalization. YEARS of manufacturing absolutely matter. The 2021 and newer also have a larger battery, along with a slew of updates.

For reference, I have a '23 MP3 with 28,000 miles on it. It is CLEAN and in great shape. It is worth $33k at Carmax. I'm planning to sell it for closer to $35k. I'd suggest that you get at least a '21 or newer MP3 or a '22 or newer LR (since they didn't get the updated battery until mid to late '21). Those should be around $30k. Last thing I recommend is to get it through Tesla or beware. Buying a used Tesla through a Stealership is risky.

2020 is not refresh. That is a HUGE generalization. YEARS of manufacturing absolutely matter. The 2021 and newer also have a larger battery, along with a slew of updates.

Towards the end of 2020, Tesla added a heat pump, blacked out the chrome trim, added auto closing trunk, and other changes. Not a generalization. For a lot of people, that's considered an important batch of updates.

Reactions: atvrida92
Towards the end of 2020, Tesla added a heat pump, blacked out the chrome trim, added auto closing trunk, and other changes. Not a generalization. For a lot of people, that's considered an important batch of updates.
The generalization is saying that it was "towards the end of 2020" when in fact it was on ALL 2021 MODEL YEAR cars, the first of which got in hands in December of 2020. Tesla didn't just make random changes, which is the other generalization. People that have a 2020 should just call it a 2020. Why try to imply that "some" 2020s had the updates or parts of them when they didn't.

The generalization is saying that it was "towards the end of 2020" when in fact it was on ALL 2021 MODEL YEAR cars, the first of which got in hands in December of 2020. Tesla didn't just make random changes, which is the other generalization. People that have a 2020 should just call it a 2020. Why try to imply that "some" 2020s had the updates or parts of them when they didn't.

You're talking model-years and I'm talking build-dates. Cars built towards the end of 2020 had a lot of updates (refresh). I know because I have one.

Yes, it's a 2021 Model 3, but built towards the end of 2020. Thus, 2020/2021 Model 3s.

I'd suggest anyone shopping for a Tesla that wants a given feature not rely on any build-date / model-year to determine if it has that feature. Instead, just make sure the car has that feature.

Tesla has just as easily removed features from their cars (radar, USS, matrix headlights).

You're talking model-years and I'm talking build-dates. Cars built towards the end of 2020 had a lot of updates (refresh). I know because I have one.

Yes, it's a 2021 Model 3, but built towards the end of 2020. Thus, 2020/2021 Model 3s.

I'd suggest anyone shopping for a Tesla that wants a given feature not rely on any build-date / model-year to determine if it has that feature. Instead, just make sure the car has that feature.

Tesla has just as easily removed features from their cars (radar, USS, matrix headlights).
Removing features is different. Are you saying that you have a 2020 with refresh features? Because that isn't the norm and your car would be rare. model 3 REFRESH is MODEL YEAR 2021. The 2021 REFRESH was released in DECEMBER of 2020. That doesn't mean that random 2020s started getting features, because they DID NOT. I don't know why you want to play games and imply that they could have because they DID NOT. This is well documented, so we can play. Deleting certain features is different. Sonar was also removed mid-year. But 100% of refresh features were under 2021 cars because the line is reset. The same goes for 2024; there isn't a single 2023 with 2024 features. NONE.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Removing features is different. Are you saying that you have a 2020 with refresh features? Because that isn't the norm and your car would be rare. model 3 REFRESH is MODEL YEAR 2021. The 2021 REFRESH was released in DECEMBER of 2020. That doesn't mean that random 2020s started getting features, because they DID NOT. I don't know why you want to play games and imply that they could have because they DID NOT. This is well documented, so we can play. Deleting certain features is different. Sonar was also removed mid-year. But 100% of refresh features were under 2021 cars because the line is reset. The same goes for 2024; there isn't a single 2023 with 2024 features. NONE.
You obviously don't know how Teslas worked over the years. They DO add new features anytime they want in the middle of the model "year". My 2020 has USB-C ports which they added in June of 2020. If you got a 2020 in May, you had the USB-A ports. The heat pump was started to be added in December of 2020. If you picked up in Dec, you could have gotten one with the heat pump. Half of the cars in 2020 got outside pedestrian sound and speakers. I got the speakers but don't have the pedestrian sounds.