Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying on ev-cpo vs used dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that when you buy a cpo thru Tesla, you cannot negotiate the price. They add 50k mile warranty ontop of the existing miles. So if the car you are buying has 20k miles, you have warranty up to 20k + 50k = 70k miles. Were if you buy a used Tesla that is not on the ev-cpo website, then you only get 50k total miles. Anything else that is different?

I found this one online. Can't tell if it is the "P85" or "85" Description says performance model but the wheels and interior seats don't look like it is a performance model. I usually see 21" wheels and the performance seat (with red piping) unless they just didn't buy it. Is it a good price?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/652089779/overview/?aff=comjunct

What I recommend you do is to look up what is available on cars.com by private parties. I'd be really weary about buying a used Model S from a dealer. They'd have no clue about what they are selling and just imagine all the people who would have gotten in and out of that car and driven it who also have no clue about the vehicle. Also they will likely not know how to keep the car charged properly as well if it takes them months to sell.

I'd buy from a private party so you know who the previous owner was, you can have them look up the full service history of the car, and have the car checked at a Tesla Service Center. Also you can have whoever is selling the car to you add 4 more years of warranty so in the case of a 2014 car, you will end up with 7 full years of warranty coverage rather than the 4 offered with the CPO program with no way to extend it. I'd favor a private party sale solely on the account that Tesla refuses to extend their CPO warranty.

Last edited:
My understanding is that when you buy a cpo thru Tesla, you cannot negotiate the price. They add 50k mile warranty ontop of the existing miles. So if the car you are buying has 20k miles, you have warranty up to 20k + 50k = 70k miles. Were if you buy a used Tesla that is not on the ev-cpo website, then you only get 50k total miles. Anything else that is different?

I found this one online. Can't tell if it is the "P85" or "85" Description says performance model but the wheels and interior seats don't look like it is a performance model. I usually see 21" wheels and the performance seat (with red piping) unless they just didn't buy it. Is it a good price?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/652089779/overview/?aff=comjunct

I find it kind of funny that your post title almost implies that CPO cars are sold by EV-CPO not Tesla.....

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 5.44.17 PM.png

Didn't the P85 come with 21"