Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used from Dealership, supercharging up right away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm looking at all my options in buying a M3 and one way to save money is to pick it up myself and avoid a delivery charge. One way flights are much cheaper than the delivery charge. Plus to me it would be a lot of fun to pick it up and do a road trip. My one concern would be having supercharging available right after I pick it up and before my account it active to the car since it's a nonTesla dealership.

I've searched the forums and can only find people that have gotten Teslas with free unlimited already active on the cars (i.e. used S and X), but can't find anyone talking about doing it with a M3. I don't want to lean on the ability to call Customer Support as you know how tough that can be to get through and get the results needed in that moment.

Anyone have any experience in this?

thanks

When you purchase the car, your card will be on file. Tesla will use this payment method for supercharging. If you have removed the payment method from your Tesla account, the car now prompts you to enter a new payment method on screen in the car so you shouldn't have any issues

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I noticed that the first supercharging session was free when I picked up a Model Y. I took the car to have tinting and clear bra installed right after picking it up and didn't drive the car to the supercharger until a few days later.

When you purchase the car, your card will be on file. Tesla will use this payment method for supercharging. If you have removed the payment method from your Tesla account, the car now prompts you to enter a new payment method on screen in the car so you shouldn't have any issues

Great yeah I'd be buying from a 3rd party dealership so nothing would be on file with Tesla until I did the whole title and licence email to Tesla. Good to hear it still lets you do it and just asks for a CC in worst case scenario

Great yeah I'd be buying from a 3rd party dealership so nothing would be on file with Tesla until I did the whole title and licence email to Tesla. Good to hear it still lets you do it and just asks for a CC in worst case scenario
This is actually a fairly new feature as you couldn't previously edit payment method manually (in the car). I think it might be part of new california (i think?) legislation that required some input method for payment but in general it's just much more user friendly for everyone to have the option

This is actually a fairly new feature as you couldn't previously edit payment method manually (in the car). I think it might be part of new california (i think?) legislation that required some input method for payment but in general it's just much more user friendly for everyone to have the option

Brings the whole friend wanting to pay for a tank of gas on a road trip tradition to Tesla