Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help on "Free Unlimited Supercharging for Life"...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering purchasing a 2016 Model S P90DL from a dealership, which is advertising the car with "Free Supercharging for life." The dealership insists this feature is included, pointing out it's mentioned on the window sticker and demonstrating that they've successfully used a Supercharger at no cost. However, they are unwilling to confirm this in writing, which raises doubts for me.

My skepticism stems from the car's listing photos, which show it has only Standard Connectivity. I was under the impression that cars equipped with Free Supercharging would also come with Premium Connectivity for life. This discrepancy leads me to believe that Tesla may have removed the Free Unlimited Supercharging feature, as it appears they have already removed Premium Connectivity. Im aware that if the car ever ended up back with tesla or perhaps if the previous owner cashed in on a newer Tesla it would have lost these features.

Is it possible for a vehicle to retain Free Unlimited Supercharging while only offering Standard Connectivity? I'm proceeding with the assumption that the Unlimited Free Supercharging may not be guaranteed as part of the deal, which will influence my negotiations on price. Despite the dealership showing evidence of recent free Supercharging sessions, I'm cautious about relying on a feature that can't be formally verified. I just wonder why is it supercharging right now for free?

Can anyone provide insight into whether these features can be decoupled, or share experiences with purchasing used Teslas where similar features were advertised?

Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance.

It is not true that cars with free supercharging also have free premium connectivity. They are not coupled except for older cars that came with both, like pre 2016?. If you photo or copy the ad where free supercharging is included on the car, and it turns out to be removed, you'd have a pretty easy case in small claims court if you can determine the value of the free supercharging. Since there are really current promotions to trade in for a new Tesla, and transfer the free unlimited supercharging and/or free connectivity, you can't really be absolutely sure anymore. It is always possible that Tesla could remove the feature once it is transferred to a new owner, but that doesn't happen very often at all. I am hesitant in your case if they won't put this UFS in writing. Unless you do a bunch of traveling, and/or don't have the option of installing a home charger, it really isn't worth that much. I only use it for trips and I don't travel in the car that often. Here is what I got last week:
Order a New Tesla and Keep Both
As a Tesla owner you are eligible to transfer your Free Supercharging and Full-Self Driving Capability to a new Tesla. Purchase a new vehicle from our existing inventory and we will cover the cost of either a paint or interior color upgrade.* Take delivery by March 31, 2024 to be eligible. Terms and conditions apply and are subject to change.

Thank you for your support of our mission as we accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
*Excludes Cybertruck, leases and used vehicles. Learn More.
2024 Tesla, Inc.
1 Tesla Road, Austin,TX 78725

As a check point our 2017 X 75D has FUSC and lifetime premium connectivity. Came with both at purchase

I would also get it in writing including buyback and attorney fees as there are definitely anecdotal stories both ways about resales and FUSC being removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
This. This is what they used to charge when "(Free) Unlimited Supercharging" could be optionally purchased with a new car. What I paid when I ordered my 2015 P85D.

I thought the only Tesla that had a FUSC purchase option was the S60. My P85D came with FUSC. There was no option to decouple it and pay less nor was there an assigned value to it as mandatory option.

The 2016 in question has almost certainly had SC01 stripped from it if premium connectivity has also been stripped. One way you can confirm for sure it's been stripped already is simply look at the software tab. It will tell you what kind of supercharging it has. However, if you look at this and it says free supercharging for life, it could still about to be stripped away because Tesla is often slow at removing SC01 after what they consider a qualifying change in ownership.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I thought the only Tesla that had a FUSC purchase option was the S60. My P85D came with FUSC. There was no option to decouple it and pay less nor was there an assigned value to it as mandatory option.

The 2016 in question has almost certainly had SC01 stripped from it if premium connectivity has also been stripped. One way you can confirm for sure it's been stripped already is simply look at the software tab. It will tell you what kind of supercharging it has. However, if you look at this and it says free supercharging for life, it could still about to be stripped away because Tesla is often slow at removing SC01 after what they consider a qualifying change in ownership.
I ordered January 2015 and received May 2015, and I paid a $2000 line item for unlimited supercharging. As I recall, it was optional at the time I ordered, quickly became a required option, and then just as quickly they raised the base price by $2K and the line item was removed.

I ordered January 2015 and received May 2015, and I paid a $2000 line item for unlimited supercharging. As I recall, it was optional at the time I ordered, quickly became a required option, and then just as quickly they raised the base price by $2K and the line item was removed.

I also ordered my P85D in January 2015 and received it in March. I've read probably a million posts in this forum since 2014 with over 10,000 posts myself and have NEVER once seen a reference to there being a line item charge for FUSC for anything other than an S60.

All S85s from 2012 to 2016 all came with SC01 without exception when purchased new.

Reactions: richrootes
We have had & have 5 Teslas. More than 400K miles cumulative and less than 1% charge used on the SuperCharger network. Not a benefit to a lot of people. Our ‘17 X has FUSC & FSD. Still holding out to use it in the Robotaxi network to make bank 💰 🤣😂🤣😂

Wow, I admit I'm conscious of / motivated by the $ savings (who wouldn’t be for ~$30K+) - and California’s high cost of electricity. If my cost to charge @ home was 1/10 California’s actual (as it is in some locations) - I’d definitely charge at home overnight.

Wow, I admit I'm conscious of / motivated by the $ savings (who wouldn’t be for ~$30K+) - and California’s high cost of electricity. If my cost to charge @ home was 1/10 California’s actual (as it is in some locations) - I’d definitely charge at home overnight.

Curious what your kWh rate is? Ours is about $0.17/kWh, and at that rate, I’d rather save the time and charge at home, unless on a road trip.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
Curious what your kWh rate is? Ours is about $0.17/kWh, and at that rate, I’d rather save the time and charge at home, unless on a road trip.
Total cost per kWh (and we’re on the EV residential rate) commencing at midnight is no less than $0.35 (& realistically more once municipal taxes etc. are multiplied)
Superchargers in the vicinity are typically $0.40-$0.50
IMG_7038.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: dmurphy
Total cost per kWh (and we’re on the EV residential rate) commencing at midnight is no less than $0.35 (& realistically more once municipal taxes etc. are multiplied)
Superchargers in the vicinity are typically $0.40-$0.50
View attachment 1036254
That’s insane! Your peak rate is > 3x ours, and even off peak is 2x.

I can completely see the value in FUSC with rates like that.

For us, it’s ABC - “always be charging” …. When I get home, plug the car in and forget about it.

For you, charging needs solid planning. Wow.

I’ve always valued FUSC at a few $k max over the life of the vehicle. Guess my California brethren will want to buy our X when I’m done with it!

Reactions: terranx
That’s insane! Your peak rate is > 3x ours, and even off peak is 2x.

I can completely see the value in FUSC with rates like that.

For us, it’s ABC - “always be charging” …. When I get home, plug the car in and forget about it.

For you, charging needs solid planning. Wow.

I’ve always valued FUSC at a few $k max over the life of the vehicle. Guess my California brethren will want to buy our X when I’m done with it!
Same. And my electric company is one of the more expensive ones in the state. Had I lived a little bit to the south, my rates would be considerably less