Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used PowerWall [any issues with commissioning?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,
sorry if this a repost didn't find anything here. Is there any issue with commissioning a used Powerwall2? I brought it from a builder who doesn't know the owner. So basically i have the Unit and GW1 with it. I asked a qualified engineer to install and he is coming next month. Just want to check if there is any legal issues on getting a used one and Using Tesla Tariff in UK?

Guys,
sorry if this a repost didn't find anything here. Is there any issue with commissioning a used Powerwall2? I brought it from a builder who doesn't know the owner. So basically i have the Unit and GW1 with it. I asked a qualified engineer to install and he is coming next month. Just want to check if there is any legal issues on getting a used one and Using Tesla Tariff in UK?

Since your other thread had you talking about DIYing stuff, I hope by "qualified engineer" you mean "Qualified electrician who is tesla certified", because if not you will likely not be able to get it properly commissioned.

You dont need just an electrician, you need one who is tesla certified and that can contact tesla to get the device added to an account created for you.

yes Tesla certified of course. Thanks @jjrandorin . Is there any legal terms for him to do so. He said there is no problems, but i am concerned as the same Powerwall was used by someone else before so it might have existed on another account.

Also when its been moved I can see some scuff marks and a dent on the white panel can i buy the casing separately? anyone know?

yes Tesla certified of course. Thanks @jjrandorin . Is there any legal terms for him to do so. He said there is no problems, but i am concerned as the same Powerwall was used by someone else before so it might have existed on another account.

Also when its been moved I can see some scuff marks and a dent on the white panel can i buy the casing separately? anyone know?

If they are tesla certfied, they should be able to give tesla whatever they (tesla) need to hear to get the device setup on your own account, so I wouldnt worry about that unless it becomes an issue ( I doubt it will). I dont know how someone would remove the powerwall from their tesla account actually as I have not been through that.

You might contact the seller and ask them to contact tesla energy support level 1 (call center) and tell them they sold the powerwall, but this might not be necessary, although its likely what I would ask for.

I havent seen anyone selling the cases separately. Perhaps thats a thing, but that would be a question your tesla authorized electrician might know the answer to, when they come.

Thanks for the info. The reason is the seller is no longer in the picture, he has sold his house and moved on. Builder who is doing the extension for the new buyer sold it as new buyer wanted all the Solar panels and battery removed and dumped :( I manage to fetch it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hi sorry to come bac on this thread again? I can see this on the help document and now i have concerns over installing PowerWall2 as its expensive job. Can someone please let me know if it is already registered before would i hit this brick wall when my engineer installs it again? He is not sure and was told Tesla is funny about this.

If you receive the message: Product already registered

I am fairly sure a tesla certified installer would be able to contact tesla support team and work with them to remove and re register the powerwall. You said the installer is tesla certified, so they should be able to get any of these answers for you from tesla.

Reactions: Vines
I am fairly sure a tesla certified installer would be able to contact tesla support team and work with them to remove and re register the powerwall. You said the installer is tesla certified, so they should be able to get any of these answers for you from tesla.
Wrong. I called several "Tesla Certified installers" and they won't touch my existing Tesla-installed Powerwalls, apparently for fear of pissing off Tesla.

Rip and replace is apparently the only option.

Wrong. I called several "Tesla Certified installers" and they won't touch my existing Tesla-installed Powerwalls, apparently for fear of pissing off Tesla.

Rip and replace is apparently the only option.
Your situation is different, and not what is discussed here. I think you know that, but are upset so just trying to make it fit that narrative. This OP is talking about getting a tesla certified installer to install product for him initially, not trying to get one to service their existing, "installed by tesla itself" system, which is what you are trying to do.

I am not into internet "debates" though. so likely wont be commenting much more on the fact that these are different, other than to say it here.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Yes True @jjrandorin , I've got 2 installers interested in doing the job. Just figuring which one to do it and how to go about it. In UK anything above 5KwH we need to get DNO application which takes roughly 2 months. My plan is to connect upto SolarEdge HD Wave 3.6Kwh connected and let battery run via that until application come through to install the rest of the panels

Oh I have a question about Metering.

I am planning to fix PW2 on SummerHouse 40M away from main house. One engineer proposed running cable with clamed to the main meter for metering to find out Solar Generation Vs consumption from the house? Apologies if there is another thread that had this discussed, but not sure running a 40Meter cable is a good idea for this.

Yes True @jjrandorin , I've got 2 installers interested in doing the job. Just figuring which one to do it and how to go about it. In UK anything above 5KwH we need to get DNO application which takes roughly 2 months. My plan is to connect upto SolarEdge HD Wave 3.6Kwh connected and let battery run via that until application come through to install the rest of the panels

Oh I have a question about Metering.

I am planning to fix PW2 on SummerHouse 40M away from main house. One engineer proposed running cable with clamed to the main meter for metering to find out Solar Generation Vs consumption from the house? Apologies if there is another thread that had this discussed, but not sure running a 40Meter cable is a good idea for this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clamed".

Good idea? In my opinion, no, not really, but you may have other reasons for wanting it there. The power losses in the cable are =current x current x resistance, so minimizing the resistance will minimize your losses, i.e. large diameter cable. It is just money for more expensive wire, or larger power losses over time. There are lots of online calculators to help you decide, but most of them on this side of the pond recommend larger power losses over larger wires, trading lower upfront costs for higher running costs.

All the best,

BG

Hi @Chamara

did you get it installed ? the GW1 should have a nurino wifi CT clamp inside so can disconnect RS485 bus and connect via wifi
how much did installers quote you to install ?

The user you are pinging has not been on TMC since June of this year.
chamara tesla energy.png