Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

second hand M3P - first time Tesla owner - help with understating warrant issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I picked up a second hand M3P, 27000 on the clock, 2019, pre chrome delete.

First one I saw and test drove, was blown away by the performance and purchased on the day, so I know I did very little research. Ive driven an S and X occasionally in the past from a fleet of work vehicles so was expecting great software and some what less great build quality. It was a bit of a rush purchase as I had just bought the MG4 a few months prior but the software was so bad and dangerous, its just sat on the drive now and none of us will drive it (trying to get MG to take it back).

Ive made a list of things i've noticed and I hope some of your more experiences M3 owners can Gove me some quick fire responses to if they are warranty issues / can I fix them.

Hit a pot hole, both tires on that side needed to be replaced and the fitter said the alloys are also not tru, can this be fixed ?
Cracks in boot lid welding above the numberplate
moisture in rear light clusters
Boot does not lift up on its own - particularly in the cold, like the struts dont have enough pressure or something to life the boot.
Dent on bonnet, looks like a point load impact from something heavy but not sharp as its in the crease
Wireless charger unreliable - looks like its been retro fitted by the previous owner - any recommendations for a better one.
Range - Couldn’t manage 2x70mile trips at around 0 degrees from 100% charge
Some vibration or noise from axles/wheels, noticeable on smooth roads (assume tire and alloy balancing should fix)
Bonking noise like a piece of metal deforming from battery area during rapid charging and some times driving
Driver door handle slow to close meaning drivers door doesn’t latch in first go, particularly when cold
Driver seat rocks a little on acceleration and deceleration
Squeaky windows - very noticeable when doing the light show
I have a 7kw home charger (zappi) and in the morning, I cant seem to find a quick way to unplug the charge cable with out getting in the car and pressing a button, I just want to unplug and go.

I apologise, I know most the answers will be on the forum in some form or another, this just seems way more efficient for an experienced person to quick fire answer.

Thanks in advance, a very happy motorist.

20" wheels on the M3P are known to crack or otherwise "break" in real harsh potholes. You'd be better off with 19" or even 18" wheels.
Yes, the boot has a hard time going up especially in cold weather. Don't recommend putting stronger struts, some people have caused harm doing that.
Plenty of discussions on range around here. You will only do rated if you drive like EPA test: 55mph, no/little hvac, no hard front wind etc. You must be driving quick.
Battery will make loud pops when quickly changing temperature, such as when supercharging, that is normal.
door handles must be lubricated. Pull the handle and lubricate the pivot/hinge inside the door.
Lubricate door/window seals with silicone lubricant, as with any other car.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
Ive made a list of things i've noticed and I hope some of your more experiences M3 owners can Gove me some quick fire responses to if they are warranty issues / can I fix them.

Hit a pot hole, both tires on that side needed to be replaced and the fitter said the alloys are also not tru, can this be fixed ?
Warranty = No. You can fix this by either buying new tires, or getting your tires repaired
Cracks in boot lid welding above the numberplate
Warranty = not sure
moisture in rear light clusters
Warranty = perhaps, not sure on a used car purchase.
Boot does not lift up on its own - particularly in the cold, like the struts dont have enough pressure or something to life the boot.
Warranty = no. Older model 3s dont have powered trunk (boot) struts. Its just enough to unlock the trunk on my 2018 with no upward travel whatsoever
Dent on bonnet, looks like a point load impact from something heavy but not sharp as its in the crease
Warranty = absolutely not. Dent on used vehicle purchase is absolutely not a warranty issue. Remedy the same way you would any other body damage on any other vehicle.
Wireless charger unreliable - looks like its been retro fitted by the previous owner - any recommendations for a better one.
Warranty = No. Car did not come with a wireless charger and older model 3s like that one (and mine) have USB C ports which provide less power than newer USB C ports. Brand may not matter much in reliability of wireless charging, depending on phone model.
Range - Couldn’t manage 2x70mile trips at around 0 degrees from 100% charge
Warranty = absolutely, positively, unequivocably, irrevocably 1000000000000% = no
Some vibration or noise from axles/wheels, noticeable on smooth roads (assume tire and alloy balancing should fix)
Warranty = unlikely
Bonking noise like a piece of metal deforming from battery area during rapid charging and some times driving
Warranty = no , these noises are normal
Driver door handle slow to close meaning drivers door doesn’t latch in first go, particularly when cold
Warranty = unsure. If able to duplicate issue with door not latching, likely warranty issue.

Everything @jjrandorin is said right. The only things I'd add are: alloy wheels that are dented can usually be repaired and rounded again if they're not cracked, you'll have to take it to a wheel repair shop to see.

Also "Bonking noise like a piece of metal deforming from battery area during rapid charging and some times driving", I only get that noise at superchargers and I don't recall hearing that during driving. You might want to check out all the nuts and bolts in the suspension components, as there are cases of suspension arm bolt recalls that might affect your car.