Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with success getting Tesla to undo their unjust SC01 -> SC04 that happened after buying second-hand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately your facts here …. Aren’t accurate.

There are absolutely vehicles manufactured before this date that didn’t have free Supercharging —- in fact, there are cars which did not have Supercharging access *at all*, paid or otherwise.

There’s another thread going around about one of those cars in particular.
Thanks for the clarification. I've edited my comment now, as you're correct that this did not include any of the Tesla roadsters nor the very early model S's that weren't equipped to access the supercharging network. I don't know the definitive start date of vehicles being equipped sc01 free supercharging. Presumably sometime between 2012 and mid 2013. Do you happen to have this?

I don't know the definitive start date of vehicles being equipped sc01 free supercharging. Presumably sometime between 2012 and mid 2013. Do you happen to have this?
It wasn't about a start date; that was right from the beginning. It was about model choices. The S40 never offered Supercharging. The S60 had it as an optional extra you could choose and pay for. All of the S85 and P85 cars had it included.

Hi William, thank you for your explanation. You mentioned that there is a web search that can verify whether it's sc01, can you share the website or way of search? The second the question is about if in future, there is a service need, we have to use Tesla service, how much is the risk that Tesla would remove this unlimited supercharge? many thanks

Hi William, thank you for your explanation. You mentioned that there is a web search that can verify whether it's sc01, can you share the website or way of search? The second the question is about if in future, there is a service need, we have to use Tesla service, how much is the risk that Tesla would remove this unlimited supercharge? many thanks
There are a couple of ways to check your supercharging status if it's a Tesla you already own and is on your account. I think you just log into your account on your computer, go to your dashboard -> manage vehicles. Then right click on the image of the vehicle and select "copy image address" and paste this into a word document and you'll be able to see all the options codes. I've seen others describe another way to see those codes though. If you're not the current owner of the Tesla, then it is not possible to see the supercharging code status. There are no web tools for this. You can only infer based on the time the vehicle was produced and/or having the current owner of the vehicle check it themself.

IF the vehicle is not owned by you, or you do not have access to the current owner's Tesla login to see it on the website for yourself... You cannot definitively say if it has SC01 or not. I have come to the realization that cars that are at dealerships (NOT Tesla) and are NOT currently held in an owner's account... May have free supercharging active while they are in an non-owned status.

Within the car itself, there is no way to know for sure BUT if the car's screen shows Premium Connectivity as "Included package" then it is a high probability that it does have FUSC - transfer state is still unknown though. If the Premium Connectivity shows no information OR an expiration date... Then be VERY suspicious as it likely does not have free supercharging of any flavor.

A couple comments:
…This very frequently is a situation that causes clueless Tesla employees to mistakenly remove it, so it happens often…
1. I doubt ANY service center employees can change option codes. I bet only a few people at corporate have that discretion, outside of the automated processes that do so, like Tesla ownership.
…I do think some have even gone to small claims court possibly for this question, perhaps that is an avenue that can be explored?…
2. I don’t think a small claims win can impose an action on the loser. I think that you can only win monetary damages in small claims.

3. Besides having a salvage title at some point, which will lose FUSC, there is at least one other way to lose SC01 without transferring it. If an owner gets accused by Tesla of running a ride share service. Apparently there is something in the FUSC language about commercial usage that if confronted by Tesla will lose them SC01, although the owner usually gets some price concession from Tesla in return, likely that doesn’t transfer.

Last edited:
3. Besides having a salvage title at some point, which will lose FUSC, there is at least one other way to lose SC01 without transferring it. If an owner gets accused by Tesla of running a ride share service. Apparently there is something in the FUSC language about commercial usage that if confronted by Tesla will lose them SC01, although the owner usually gets some price concession from Tesla in return, likely that doesn’t transfer.
For #3, it would depend when the car was originally sold, and only for the original owner. I don't have the dates, however, the TOS/Fair Use Agreement did not prohibit pretty much any type of usage up to a certain point in 2016. After that point, the TOS/FUA would then apply to vehicles sold that point on. Now, before that point, would only apply to the original owner, as once you transfer the account into the second and each successive owner, adding it to your Tesla account, you agree to the new/current TOS/FUA.
So my Feb, 2016 Model S is a free for all. No Fair Use for the most part, and no prohibitions of use. My December 2016 MX would be subject to a Fair Use Policy.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Krash
For #3, it would depend when the car was originally sold, and only for the original owner. I don't have the dates, however, the TOS/Fair Use Agreement did not prohibit pretty much any type of usage up to a certain point in 2016. After that point, the TOS/FUA would then apply to vehicles sold that point on…
Fascinating. I wonder how enforceable that TOS/FUA is? Specifically, if you bought the car used and never installed the app, so you never agreed to the TOS/FUA, could you argue that you could operate under the old rules? Could Tesla force you to agree in order to get warranty service? Any service? Would you have to agree in order to Supercharge because there wouldn’t be any other way to add billing info for overage charges?

Could Tesla sneak in other stuff into the TOS/FUA like make pre 2019 FSD users agree to post 2019 FSD terms on transfer?

Fascinating. I wonder how enforceable that TOS/FUA is? Specifically, if you bought the car used and never installed the app, so you never agreed to the TOS/FUA, could you argue that you could operate under the old rules? Could Tesla force you to agree in order to get warranty service? Any service? Would you have to agree in order to Supercharge because there wouldn’t be any other way to add billing info for overage charges?

Could Tesla sneak in other stuff into the TOS/FUA like make pre 2019 FSD users agree to post 2019 FSD terms on transfer?
Considering that you can't even ask for service without the app, yes. All of that is possible, and more than likely. They do not view themselves as a car company, they view themselves as an app / tech company that happens to have cars. So ALL of the worst dirty tricks from Silicon Valley are plausible. They have already done many of them - crippling software features that are available and cost them nothing, but refuse to activate them until they are paid. Renting software features. Stripping features without warning or explanation.

All of this is anti-consumer behavior that software companies get away with constantly.

… ALL of the worst dirty tricks from Silicon Valley are plausible. They have already done many of them - crippling software features that are available and cost them nothing, but refuse to activate them until they are paid. Renting software features. Stripping features without warning or explanation.

All of this is anti-consumer behavior that software companies get away with constantly.
My view differs. I don’t think Silicon Valley is worse than Detroit for anti-consumer behavior. And I don’t think that cars shouldn’t be allowed to have hardware that can be software locked since sometimes it’s simply more efficient to ship all the cars with extra hardware.

And I really think that renting software is great since nobody rents more than once if the software is poor. Also Tesla shouldn’t have to give away all the software features for free because they don’t “cost them anything”. Very little software would get written anywhere under such a model.

But yes to more transparency.

I’ll will say I do dislike the “refer and earn” banner in the new app. I really think that cheapens the Tesla experience.

Within the car itself, there is no way to know for sure BUT if the car's screen shows Premium Connectivity as "Included package" then it is a high probability that it does have FUSC - transfer state is still unknown though. If the Premium Connectivity shows no information OR an expiration date... Then be VERY suspicious as it likely does not have free supercharging of any flavor.

This works, unless the previous only has transferred FUSC to another car. Premium connectivity does not transfer so it stays in the old car, even if FUSC is transferred.

Edit: Ah I just noticed you said it already, sorry. :D