Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYD in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I watched
earlier today. It also gave some global and Japanese EV sales share figures. It's under 6.5 minutes long.
"BYD fine-tunes global EV strategy in JapanーNHK WORLD-JAPAN NEWS

16,048 views Jan 31, 2024 #china #ev
China's top EV maker is aiming to woo a nation of famously demanding drivers -- and dethrone Tesla on the world stage. #china #ev"

I did visit their booth at Japan Mobility Show (fka Tokyo Motor Show) a few months ago.

Reactions: hiroshiy
BYD is using the traditional dealer model to satisfy Japanese customers. Numbers show that BYD is doing much better than Hyundai, which employs a direct sales model like Tesla.
Many factors affect the low Tesla sales figures in Japan. I believe one major factor is insufficient service. Since Tesla only repairs core stuff and lets other body shops do bodywork and paint, the repair time is much longer than that of other manufacturers. Parts availability is not very high, so sometimes we have to wait for the parts for a few months. I personally waited for a part for 1.5 years! I think this wait time was the longest in the Tesla's history.
And there's the CHAdeMO issues. There are many incompatible chargers but the owners still need to rely on them in rural areas. For example, my Model X isn't compatible with most of 450V CHAdeMO chargers, as the X has a higher voltage.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna