Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"C" motor code in VIN on a few performance Model 3 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I just did a road trip to Alabama (video on my YT channel), and along the way, I stopped at a few Tesla Service Centers. At one, I saw a performance 3 with the red underlined badge on the trunk, 19 inch wheels, no red brakes, and the C code in the 8th VIN digit.

At another location, I saw a red underlined trunk badge car with the C code and 18 inch wheels.

A google search didn't turn up as much detail as I wanted to see, when did Tesla start using a C instead of just an A or B? And is a C the new proof of a performance 3? I thought it was just a software unlock, as many have claimed.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
My stealth has a C in position 8 of the VIN. I have heard so many things, it is totally not clear. Software - yes. Parts differences- ??

Another question is why did Tesla just make so many of these cars unannounced this quarter? It’s a damn nice car, but I really have no idea of what makes it the way it is, and why Tesla made it.

In 2018 it was a software unlock of a LR AWD car- all physical parts identical.

Sometime in early 2019 AWD cars began appearing with a different rear drive unit than the P (though there were still some showing up with the "original" one shared with the P for the early months too).

By mid-late 2019 all AWDs we've seen reported were coming with the new, different, DU and the Ps still had the old one (it remains unclear what the actual difference between the units are other than having a different part number)

The VIN is based on Teslas filings of vin decoding with the NHTSA- all dual-motor cars regardless of trim got the B in the 8th slot for 2018 and most of 2019.

Only Ps (all Ps, + or -) are getting the C as of late 2019 though, with LR AWDs still getting B... this is a VERY recent change (IIRC the change was submitted in November....I posted linked to the actual NHTSA VIN decoder filing in another thread if you feel like searching for em.)

My SA said the Stealth model 3 had a different rear motor. Mine (yet to be picked up) has a C as the 8th character.

SAs rarely have any idea WTF they're talking about.

100% of P3D- cars whose owners have posted pics have shown the same rear drive unit as P3D+ cars always have come with (and the same one regular non-P AWDs came with for 2018 and some early 2019 production)

That said- by all means when you get yours- take a pic and post it.

If it does come with the different one (it'd almost have to be the 990 one that the LR AWD is now coming with) that would be pretty huge news.

So the take away from all this, is that LR AWD 3s now come with a new different drive unit than P cars. But P cars come with the same drive unit they have always been coming with and stealths have the same drive unit as P cars. Is that correct?

So the take away from all this, is that LR AWD 3s now come with a new different drive unit than P cars. But P cars come with the same drive unit they have always been coming with and stealths have the same drive unit as P cars. Is that correct?

That's correct based on the most current info owners have provided... (AWD non-Ps showing up with a 'new' DU sporadically early in 2019, and consistently with the new one since mid-late 2019- and all Ps still using the 'old' one)

Further- more to the original topic- all AWD non-Ps have a B in the 8th position.

All Ps in 2018 also do.

MOST Ps in 2019 also do (possibly all- that's a little unclear right now- but the filing with NHTSA for the existence of a C code came around the same time folks were reporting 2020s coming out of the factory)

All 2020 Ps appear to have a C in that position.

Last edited:
New parts should be in the Tesla parts catalog, no?

epc.tesla.com

I don't know what I am looking for but I'm sure someone does.

The "old" rear drive unit is 980, the new one (only appearing so far in LR AWD non-Ps, and mostly since ~April 2019 but with a few earlier reports) is 990.

(the catalog also lists a 970- but AFAIK this has never appeared in any actual production model 3 of any kind.... many expected it was for the SR but that never happened)

Front unit remains identical in all dual motor 3s

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: astrorob and MXWing
Another question is why did Tesla just make so many of these cars unannounced this quarter? It’s a damn nice car, but I really have no idea of what makes it the way it is, and why Tesla made it.

A birdie told me it's all about $, which makes sense I suppose. If the different motor is available in #s, the profit margin is pretty good and it's an attractive deal to many folks (ie as an owner, me)

My car is a 2020 and has a C in the 8th digit of my VIN

look here https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c646fbf1-8ba5-4575-af1e-f415a1131337

Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit

1= Single Motor – Standard (Designated for Model S)

3= Single Motor – Performance (Designated for Model S)

2 = Dual Motor (standard) (Designated for Model S & Model X)

4 = Dual Motor (performance) (Designated for Model S & Model X)

A= Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model 3)

B = Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model 3)

C = Dual Motor – Performance (Designated for Model 3)

Reactions: bcpm3p