Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This year its been on hold till they replenish funds.. I just wanted to know if there are any news on it. I'm purchasing soon just waiting for the end of the year push. 2500 is a big factor on purchasing a more expensive LR than cheapest

I have no news other than what it currently says at Clean Vehicle Rebate Project.

In case OP doesnt want to click the link:

=====================================

Waitlist in effect for Standard Rebate Applications received on or after June 5, 2019

As of June 5, 2019, funding is only available for qualified lower-income applicants, as described here. All other applications for vehicles already purchased/leased will be processed and placed on a rebate waitlist. As of 06/27/2019, the Legislature approved $238 million in Cap-and-Trade auction proceeds for CVRP. However, we anticipate that it could take several months to receive the funding. Qualified applicants on the rebate waitlist will receive payment when the project receives more funding from the State of California. Additional updates will be provided here as they become known. Learn more.

The Rebate Now pilot for San Diego County will continue to process applications for qualified lower-income applicants, but Rebate Now applications for all other income levels will not be accepted during the CVRP waitlist.

===========================================

Translation: We expect funding to not be released for several months, and it will then go in order from submitted approved applications.

If you "need" this money to make the purchase, you should expect not to be reimbursed for "several months" so will need to come up with that money now.

Just took delivery of the Model 3 last week. When filing for the CVRP rebate, did you have to wait for the permanent registration to come in with the plates or were you able to upload the "Application for Registration of New Vehicle" that was completed at the delivery center?

Reactions: mlkmade
Application for Registration of New Vehicle is acceptable.

You sure about that? I could have sworn that one of the requirements was proof the car was transferred in your name, and called out the final registration, not the application, for that.

EDIT: possible that I am confusing this requirement for registration with one of the other things I applied for. I know the CA decals needed the full registration.

EDIT 2: Just checked the website, and I am *incorrect* on this. Temporary registration works for CVRP program. I believe I was mixing it with the CA carpool lane tag program in my head which if I remember correctly requires permanent registration.

Last edited:
Just got my car on Saturday, and need info on the 'rebates' from Federal and Calif State programs...I tried and got so many different answers on the web. Would appreciate any help...Thanks...GREAT CAR....lol...
Federal and State "rebates" are just tax deductions, it's not actually cash in hand. When you do your taxes next year, work with your tax adviser (or HR Block/Turbo Tax/etc...) to apply the "rebate."

• Disagree
Federal and State "rebates" are just tax deductions, it's not actually cash in hand. When you do your taxes next year, work with your tax adviser (or HR Block/Turbo Tax/etc...) to apply the "rebate."

You are right about Fed being a tax credit, but not State. Every state is different. California, where the OP is located, writes a check to the car buyer. OP, please read Clean Vehicle Rebate Project for more details on CA state rebate.

Reactions: miimura
You already got a pointer above for the CA rebate.

The US tax credit is handled in your annual tax return. You must have a US tax liability of at least the amount of the credit (now only $1875), which is easy for most people if you're working. I filed with TurboTax, which made the details super easy. I imagine the same is true with other tax software. Then the money gets added to your refund or reduces your payment, depending on who owes whom when you get to the bottom line!

You may have a third one too. Many of the electric utilities have some sort of incentive. I think I've heard numbers in the $500-800 range. We have SMUD, and they paid us $599. Not bad!

The CA one is the biggest pain to actually apply for, but at $2500 it's worth it!

Reactions: cwerdna
I got a check from Californian 2 weeks ago for $4500. $2500 + $2000 for being considered "low income".

Anyone making less than $150k a year is considered low-income, its great!

Clean Vehicle Rebate Project - Currently the funding that was stopped on June 5th is back open as of the Sept 24th. They've been refunded and are paying people who were on the wait list. Apply now before it runs out again!

• Disagree
Reactions: jjrandorin
I got a check from Californian 2 weeks ago for $4500. $2500 + $2000 for being considered "low income".

Anyone making less than $150k a year is considered low-income, its great!

Clean Vehicle Rebate Project - Currently the funding that was stopped on June 5th is back open as of the Sept 24th. They've been refunded and are paying people who were on the wait list. Apply now before it runs out again!

I checked and this doesn't seem accurate. I believe the extra $2,000 you got was from the Increased Rebate?

2019 Increased Rebate Income Limits
Household Size Combined Household Income must be less than*:
1 $37,470
2 $50,730
3 $63,990
4 $77,250
5 $90,510
6 $103,770
7 $117,030
8 $130,290

Got it from here: Income Eligibility

• Disagree
I checked and this doesn't seem accurate. I believe the extra $2,000 you got was from the Increased Rebate?

Its funny when people who don't know what they're talking about try to correct someone that actually has experienced it first hand what they're talking about...smh

The $2,000 extra I got was because I qualified as low-income. I may have mixed up the chart #s between low income and the high income cap in my original post, but that doesn't change the point. If you qualify as low-income, you get more money.

I have about 20 emails between myself and Katie from CVRP to prove this to you if you want me to forward them to you?

Last edited: