Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Specialty Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering ordering either the black legacy plates or the “whale tail” Coastal Commission plates and so getting a new license plate number. If you have done this can you confirm if need to do anything relating to the carpool lane stickers which I believe are tied to a specific license plate number? Thank you.

I am considering ordering either the black legacy plates or the “whale tail” Coastal Commission plates and so getting a new license plate number. If you have done this can you confirm if need to do anything relating to the carpool lane stickers which I believe are tied to a specific license plate number? Thank you.

When you go to DMV to pick up the new plates and exchange your old plates, they will give you new Month/Year stickers and print out a new registration for your vehicle. On the new registration, it will have your HOV decal number near the center labeled under MISC#. Don't need to do anything with the HOV stickers.

Technically, you need a HOV sticker certificate if you ever get pulled over. You can apply for a new certificate after you assign the new plates by filing the REG-1000 form again. There is no fee for the new certificate.

I specifically asked when I picked up my new plates and was told there is no need to do anything for the stickers. The new registration has the sticker number on it, and additionally, the old certificate has the VIN# (which of course has not changed) which I keep in the car.

Reactions: Need
I specifically asked when I picked up my new plates and was told there is no need to do anything for the stickers. The new registration has the sticker number on it, and additionally, the old certificate has the VIN# (which of course has not changed) which I keep in the car.

You beat me to the reply. I was going to say the same thing. I also asked if I need to do anything with the HOV decal and was told no. It's all been taken care of.

So just to be clear: Does one need to actually PUT the stickers on the car, or do you just have to have it on the car's registration?

I am assuming you are referring to the carpool stickers? Per the DMV, you need to put on all four stickers. Some people put less. At a minimum, I would suggest you have at least one as you will eventually get pulled over without stickers and just having the registration will not keep you from getting a ticket.