Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Tesla Rebate is going away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the text...

The state of California currently provides a $2,500 rebate to those who purchase or lease a new Tesla. The program is being updated in early 2016, with the level of rebate changing depending on your personal/household income. This means not all customers will be eligible for the $2,500 rebate when the new rules go into effect.

To receive the current rebate, you will need to take delivery of your Tesla before the changes are implemented. Given the lead time to custom manufacture your vehicle, we suggest placing your order as soon as possible. You can order through our
Design Studio
or from your
local store

To schedule a test drive, simply click below and a member of the Tesla Team will be in touch.

California's situation is better than Washington State. Earlier this year Washington eliminated the sales tax break for any EV costing more than $35,000, no matter your income. Washington doesn't have state income tax, so they could only offer a tax break. On top of that, they upped the yearly license surcharge for EVs to $150 a year.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to offer certain tax breaks to poorer people and not allow them for wealthier people. I'm far from wealthy, but I make enough to cover expenses and save something every month, but a few years ago we were bleeding our savings due to some financial problems. For a few years there I paid no federal income tax because I didn't make enough after deductions. I was very happy for any breaks I could get. Now those breaks would just make a difference in how much I save month to month.

I do think the incentives cut off at too low a level though. There is a perception that every Tesla buyer is a fat cat who can afford to blow $100K on a car without much thought. In reality about 1/2 of Tesla owners stepped up from a car costing $50K or less and have much more modest incomes than other buyers of $100K cars. For some of us it's a major stretch to afford one. I need a car capable of road trips to California, which rules out any car with a range less than 200 miles and one with 400 would be ideal (I could get from here to the Bay Area with one recharging stop in a 400 mile car). I need to be able to get down to my father's in Morro Bay, CA and he'll likely be gone by the time the Model 3 is in production. He's almost 96 now.

There is a perception that every Tesla buyer is a fat cat who can afford to blow $100K on a car without much thought. In reality about 1/2 of Tesla owners stepped up from a car costing $50K or less and have much more modest incomes than other buyers of $100K cars. For some of us it's a major stretch to afford one. I need a car capable of road trips to California, which rules out any car with a range less than 200 miles and one with 400 would be ideal (I could get from here to the Bay Area with one recharging stop in a 400 mile car). I need to be able to get down to my father's in Morro Bay, CA and he'll likely be gone by the time the Model 3 is in production. He's almost 96 now.

I agree. I may not be poor, but I am also not a fat cat either. I currently drive a ML350 Bluetec with a lease ending in May 16. Yes, I can afford a 60K car, but I need some incentives to kick that amount to 80K.

I agree. I may not be poor, but I am also not a fat cat either. I currently drive a ML350 Bluetec with a lease ending in May 16. Yes, I can afford a 60K car, but I need some incentives to kick that amount to 80K.

I'm in a similar financial position, though my car was paid for in 1992. BTW, I notice you're in Morgan Hill. I telecommute to there.

The income cap starting 2016 is $500K for joint couples. Take note that it's gross income, not AGI after losses and deductions.

I went to the web site and saw that my Roadster would qualify!! It's listed! Though I bought it this year, I'm not the original owner. But what 2015 Roadster buyers could possibly be the original owners? So I filled out the info and submitted it. The web site came back and told me my VIN is not a Roadster! What?? I'm so disappointed! Here I've been charging it all this time! Maybe it's a VW or a Fiat.

Okay now I'm confused - I thought the California $2,500 rebate went away in July for people above the income cap and that it was effective immediately. Now I'm reading that it won't kick in until 2016.
I was told by someone at the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, that it goes into effect 4-6 month after the California anual budget is approved. I originally though it was 4-6 months after the bill was signed in June.

CVRP recently change the wording on their site as well: Fiscal Year 2015-16 Income Limit Changes | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project