Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone leave this option off? Hasn’t really been hot in SoCal (60-70 degrees) and realized the cabin overheat protection was on for the last couple days. Rather save on battery by leaving this off completely.

Attachments

• AEAEC07B-75AA-4223-BB63-11557DD1FA61.png
    AEAEC07B-75AA-4223-BB63-11557DD1FA61.png
    378.2 KB · Views: 1,173
I know right? Heat wave in SoCal last week... Makes me feel guilty (and glad I'm not in the NPE) but I noticed the same.

My MY triggered overheat protection multiple times. I was not out long, or far from home so I let it run, but I have no idea how much it drains the battery.

Try setting Cabin Overheat Protection to Fan Only mode (No AC.) This should provide some cabin cooling while reducing the amount of energy used. In July temperatures I have observed battery usage of .75kWh when Cabin Overheat Protection (with AC) is active. Consumption was ~6kWh over 8 hours daytime use. Note that Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after your park your Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: pkmody and GtiMart
Try setting Cabin Overheat Protection to Fan Only mode (No AC.) This should provide some cabin cooling while reducing the amount of energy used. In July temperatures I have observed battery usage of .75kWh when Cabin Overheat Protection (with AC) is active. Consumption was ~6kWh over 8 hours daytime use. Note that Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after your park your Tesla vehicle.
It’s set to fan only

I use the fan-only overheat protection year-round in my M3 in Hawaii, plus I have the glass roof sunshade to cut down on the battery loss, which seems to help. I lose a couple percent over the course of the workday, but much lower drain than I saw with the A/C on. Plus, I'm hoping that will prolong the life of the A/C filters since it should help to dry out the filters while the fan is blowing.

Turned it off too much battery drain for me in the summer here in the desert, never had a car with this so never cared

Peaked in the summer at 145 degrees interior no issues just set climate 10 minutes before taking off and was at 65 with windows vented quickly

My Model Y's interior temps are reaching >100 when the outside temperature is quite low (in the low 60s) if the car has direct sun on it. Is this because of the no-tint front windows and windshield?
I've never had a car that reported interior temperature when parked so I don't know whether this level of heating is normal or not.

My Model Y's interior temps are reaching >100 when the outside temperature is quite low (in the low 60s) if the car has direct sun on it. Is this because of the no-tint front windows and windshield?
I've never had a car that reported interior temperature when parked so I don't know whether this level of heating is normal or not.
It is not unusual for vehicles parked in the sun to have cabin temperatures quickly soar above 120F. You can experiment; set Cabin Overheat Protection to use only the HVAC fan without the AC. This should help lower the cabin temperature but may not be able to keep the cabin temperature below 105F. 105F is much too warm for passengers or pets, even 85F could be dangerous to occupants.

Tinting the front windshield, other glass windows can help but parking in a covered garage is the best solution. Turning on the Climate Control 5 to 7 minutes before you enter the Tesla Model Y is recommended for maximum comfort in summer temperatures.

Reactions: ARG-EV
I've never had a car that reported interior temperature when parked so I don't know whether this level of heating is normal or not all
All my windows are tinted. The car reports +100 degrees interior temps. I am wondering the same as you. However the car doesn’t feel like it’s over 100 degrees when I do sit in it.

Reactions: ARG-EV
Its only 61 in Atlanta but full bright sun today and getting alerts that the Cabin Overheat protection has been turning on. I am not concerned about it really but wonder what the heck will happen when it is 98 degrees in the Summer!

Turned it off too much battery drain for me in the summer here in the desert, never had a car with this so never cared

Peaked in the summer at 145 degrees interior no issues just set climate 10 minutes before taking off and was at 65 with windows vented quickly

I would not think that to be wise....and wonder how Tesla's electronics and batteries feel about that...not sure "cabin overheat" is for your comfort as much as the car's...or maybe both.

Last edited:
Cabin Overheat Protectionwas never intended to protect the interior of your car, rather is was to make the interior temperature more comfortable upon re-entry. In 3 years I've never used it due to wastefulness. Instead I simply forget to turn climate on 5 minutes before departure. EVERY freaking time!

A lot of electronics etc. Have you ever leave a laptop in a car in South Florida in the summer...seen quite a few ruined. Can't imagine it doesn't help the interior components and electronics somewhat.

Last edited:
Cabin overheat has nothing to do with protecting the cars electronics... If it did, it wouldn't automatically disable after 12 hours. That means regardless if you keep it on or not, cabin overheat will DEACTIVATE after being parked for over 12 hours... Which means if you park your car outside for more than one day, your display will have self destructed by now....

Reactions: matj1285
Cabin overheat has nothing to do with protecting the cars electronics... If it did, it wouldn't automatically disable after 12 hours. That means regardless if you keep it on or not, cabin overheat will DEACTIVATE after being parked for over 12 hours... Which means if you park your car outside for more than one day, your display will have self destructed by now....

Good luck and God Speed.

Good luck and God Speed.
Why do you say that? I've worked with industrial design teams before. These are common things that are tested in design/production. You think the myriad of cars out there right now that lack cabin overheat protection will have their electronics self destruct just because you parked outside in the Arizona sun for a day? You can't compare your car's electronics to your laptop, they are very different use cases... You are not expected to leave your laptop in a baking car all day... But you are reasonably expected to park your car out in the sun for days at a time.

In fact read this article about Ford's proving grounds... Particularly the one they use in China. It says they have a sunload chamber to recreate the car sitting in the baking sun... It says interior temperatures of the car reaches 224 degrees F. So yes... 145 degrees F is nothing.... It says they have engineers wearing special suits to protect them up to 392 degrees F. They interact with the components in the car, and says that any bubbling or deformation that happens at 224 degrees is rectified and corrected, so that customers will not face these issues.