TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

California DCAL

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by vadhris, Aug 5, 2018.

1. vadhris

vadhris Member

I got the plates, and I learnt that I need to fill the form Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

folks sent the form in mail, with $22 check ? or they have taken an appointment at DMV and paid in person?

if you mailed, do you send my Certified mail?

Has anyone tried AAA's processing office?

2. EV forever

EV forever Member

Sent the form in by mail with the check. Definitely use certified mail with return, so you have proof of sending it in. Previously, for our Honda Clarify we sent everything by regular mail, forgot about the certified mail option. The processing of this application took so long, we were certain the application was lost. They did not even cash the check for 6 weeks, then another 2 weeks to get the decal.

For the Tesla M3, we used certified mail with return receipt. The check was cashed in about 2 weeks and the decal arrived about a week after that. So overall, about 3-4 weeks to get the red decals for the Tesla. We think this was faster because someone at the DMV has to acknowledge that the application was received, so gets processed faster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model3Tracker | United States: Regular (Store before unveil): MODEL 3 Long Range | RWD | | Red | AERO wheels | PUP |AP
    Driving Model 3 in So. Cal since end-April'18

3. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

DCAL? What is this acronym?

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

DCAL = decal = lazy person not wanting to spell out ;);)

5. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

7. Charlie_T

Charlie_T Member

When you send in the form to the DMV for the HOV stickers be sure that you physically sign the form with a pen. I filled out the .pdf form on my computer and used the Annotate feature to add my signature. The DMV sent it back saying they needed a physical signature on the form. That delayed getting the stickers for a couple of weeks.

8. Mxbzz

Mxbzz Member

You cannot pick up the decals at a local DMV / AAA center, nor will they take your application for processing. It took roughly 4 weeks for the "Special Processing Unit" in Sacramento to cash the check and two days to receive it via snail mail.

Once you get your plate number/registration, send the application ASAP!

9. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

:oops: Yeah, that seems obvious now..

• Funny x 1
  10. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

You’ve wasted all the time saved by removing that one letter. For shame.

• Funny x 2
  11. Trvaleri

Trvaleri Member

I’m surprised you folks are letting this one pass, “... and I learnt that I need to fill the form”.

12. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Due to today's era of data caps, the poster was merely trying to conserve bandwidth. decal = DCAL. Learned = learnt. notice there isn't even an apostrophe for this new contraction? I for one applaud the OP for attempting to conserve our precious data resource.

• Funny x 2
  13. vadhris

vadhris Member

my apologies - will use proper grammar and will not resort to short cuts in this forum :)

14. vadhris

vadhris Member

BTW, anyone who has a Decal AND the clear bra/PPF installed - did you wait for the PPF installed and put the red decal after that?