Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DCAL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sent the form in by mail with the check. Definitely use certified mail with return, so you have proof of sending it in. Previously, for our Honda Clarify we sent everything by regular mail, forgot about the certified mail option. The processing of this application took so long, we were certain the application was lost. They did not even cash the check for 6 weeks, then another 2 weeks to get the decal.

For the Tesla M3, we used certified mail with return receipt. The check was cashed in about 2 weeks and the decal arrived about a week after that. So overall, about 3-4 weeks to get the red decals for the Tesla. We think this was faster because someone at the DMV has to acknowledge that the application was received, so gets processed faster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model3Tracker | United States: Regular (Store before unveil): MODEL 3 Long Range | RWD | | Red | AERO wheels | PUP |AP
Driving Model 3 in So. Cal since end-April'18

When you send in the form to the DMV for the HOV stickers be sure that you physically sign the form with a pen. I filled out the .pdf form on my computer and used the Annotate feature to add my signature. The DMV sent it back saying they needed a physical signature on the form. That delayed getting the stickers for a couple of weeks.

You cannot pick up the decals at a local DMV / AAA center, nor will they take your application for processing. It took roughly 4 weeks for the "Special Processing Unit" in Sacramento to cash the check and two days to receive it via snail mail.

Once you get your plate number/registration, send the application ASAP!

I’m surprised you folks are letting this one pass, “... and I learnt that I need to fill the form”.
Due to today's era of data caps, the poster was merely trying to conserve bandwidth. decal = DCAL. Learned = learnt. notice there isn't even an apostrophe for this new contraction? I for one applaud the OP for attempting to conserve our precious data resource.

• Funny
Reactions: vadhris and P85_DA