Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera software update - anyone else get this warning/error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing an error for autopilot feature. however, not affecting self driving which is working perfectly.
Anyone else have experience dealing with this? Tried restarting car, etc and it's not going away.
20230503_082411.jpg

Last edited:
✋ Me, yesterday. Within the first week of ownership of my Model X (although a ~ 400km demo model, so technically has had more time on the road.)

I booked an appointment in right away given that was the explicit instruction. The message wasn't present this morning (just inside the vehicle quickly, no driving except a quick adjustment in my parking spot) but was present throughout the day yesterday.

Did either of ya'll end up getting a service appointment / fix for this? Or did it go away on its own?

EDIT: for the sake of an exact Google search hit, here is the full error message: Autopilot features may be limited or unavailable. Schedule service for camera software update.

Reactions: ahero4eternity
HW4 cameras are supposed to have a completely new field of view and I believe there is at least one added camera. I was wondering how they could be implemented with the current software releases, and figure it would take months to use the new cameras and especially the new HD radar properly. Perhaps this will enable more complete views and a begining on using some of the new features.

I met this today. I scheduled the service. This is the response:

Your vehicle is currently running a "factory firmware" release which is expected on newly delivered vehicles. The regular software release will be deployed to your vehicle when our Software engineering team has determined your vehicle is ready for the latest version. Unfortunately we do not have an ETA for this release.

So nothing to worry about and just wait for update.

Update. The alert never went away. Tesla tech came out and was unable to fix it. Finally Tesla support said my car is so new theres no software for it yet and to wait. Hasn't HW4 been out for a while now?

Same message appeared today on my 2023 Model S LR. Disappeared after a stop. Did not even soft reset. Will see if it reappears.
This appeared on my new Model Y this morning (just got it two weeks ago) with HW4 (red tinted cameras). The message was still there after driving it home. I don't see any way to do a software update myself. I have an appointment this weekend for to fix a small paint ding that was there when I took delivery. I sent a Service message in the app asking if they could do this update when fixing the paint (sent them screenshots of the touchscreen showing the message). They replied that if it needs an update, they'll do it. Based on the other messages here, I'm not optimistic they'll have an update to do.

This appeared on my new Model Y this morning (just got it two weeks ago) with HW4 (red tinted cameras). The message was still there after driving it home. I don't see any way to do a software update myself. I have an appointment this weekend for to fix a small paint ding that was there when I took delivery. I sent a Service message in the app asking if they could do this update when fixing the paint (sent them screenshots of the touchscreen showing the message). They replied that if it needs an update, they'll do it. Based on the other messages here, I'm not optimistic they'll have an update to do.
Yesterday there was a software update (said it was FSD Beta - I have a 3 month trial of FSD I got via referral link). It did enable FSD for my Model Y that has HW4 cameras (and no ultrasonic sensors). The alert to make a service appointment for a software update is no longer there. I'll still take it in this weekend to fix the small paint dings so we'll see if they know if that was related. I still don't like how far away cars look in the images when I put the turn signal on (makes it look like they are farther away than they actually are) so I'm hoping that changes. I need to compare it to how it looks in a friend's 2022 Model Y with previous generation cameras.

Just had a pillar camera replaced and this error appeared. The tech has already left. My research tells me that new camera firmware just needs updating to be same as that of other cameras. Whether this happens automatically or with a full update I do not know. But will come back here to report when I find out.

UPDATE: after camera replacement the cameras have to recalibrate. Driving the vehicle for 10-20 miles will take care of it. Just like the initial calibration does.