Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t get title because missing “lien Document” from lender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cwil21

Feb 14, 2023
USA
Trying to get a title in Louisiana. Took delivery 2 weeks ago from Mississippi and received the packet with needed documents a few days later. I show up today at the OMV and they say I can’t get a title without a lien document or security agreement from Wells Fargo. After calling Wells Fargo they told me that Tesla provides that document and that they can not provide it because they don’t have it. I can not for the life of me get ahold of Tesla phone support. I hung up after 1 hour and 13 minutes waiting on hold. Any suggestions? My temp tag is expired already.

Yikes. I'm a little confused why Wells Fargo is involved if you paid it off when you took delivery. Did you take out a loan with them and pay it off the first month? If so, WF will need to release the title. Tesla would have issued the title to the "lean holder" Wells Fargo. They sit on it until you pay it off, then send you the title after everything clears. It does take some time to clear that process, however, they should have guidelines that they need to operate inside of. Carvana recently got busted for not being able to do this in a timely manner at some locations. If you did not have a loan with Wells Fargo and just had them write a check for you, than there is no lien document for the DMV and Tesla should be able to provide everything needed.