Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got pulled over today for having temp tag on back windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every Tesla I've bought in Texas comes with the temp tag taped to the back windshield. Went to grab dinner tonight and was pulled over by a cop because apparently TX law states that all plates must be in the designated area, including temp tags. I told him that's how Tesla delivered the vehicle, and his response was "clearly Tesla cares more about selling you a car than following the law". Thankfully, he let me off with a verbal warning.

On a slightly different note, my temp tag expires next week and Tesla still hasn't sent my registration packet. I got a notification over a week ago that my registration packet was shipped, but tracking shows the UPS package was never dropped off/picked up. I ended up calling Tesla and spending almost an hour to get a hold of someone, for them to tell me that they can't mail my registration packet because they don't have my insurance information. Of course this makes absolutely no sense because I have Tesla insurance, and I had to provide all the required insurance information before I could take delivery. Tesla support is trash!

Tesla Registration.png

Last edited:
Every Tesla I've bought in Texas comes with the temp tag taped to the back windshield. Went to grab dinner tonight and was pulled over by a cop because apparently TX law states that all plates must be in the designated area, including temp tags. I told him that's how Tesla delivered the vehicle, and his response was "clearly Tesla cares more about selling you a car than following the law".

It's faster for Tesla to tape it in the wrong place rather than to fasten it with screws at the location of a license plate holder.

acura-rear-g40771c2df_1920.jpg

...they can't mail my registration packet because they don't have my insurance information. Of course this makes absolutely no sense because I have Tesla insurance, and I had to provide all the required insurance information before I could take delivery. Tesla support is trash!

I am unsure whether the delay is due to Tesla not being a legal dealer in Texas.

Last edited:
@explosive0 My temp tag was also pasted to the rear window, fortunately I did not get pulled over and received my registration package in about two weeks (the temp tag expires next week). It could just be the busy postal season. When I took delivery, they also said they put a second temp tag in the glove box (in case the first one expires before the registration package arrives), you may want to check it.

Right now, I am driving with the rear license plate, as I am waiting on the snapPlate.

I do not remeber if they have always been sticking the temp tag on the back or if they just started doing it? I know they told me they started doing the registration packet themselves just a day before I took delivery (this is a welcome change and allows including sales tax in financing)

Mine was also placed in the rear window but I am in ohio and it seems fine there. I just noticed though that they no longer include a model x plate frame? I dont see the option to buy one either... guess Ill find some generic one from the parts store?

Still can't get Tesla to figure out my registration mess. Temp tag has officially expired and I was on hold for 3 hours today trying to get a hold of someone. When I finally did, it was the same scripted "we're working on it" response and they'll email me a second temp tag to print out. Fingers crossed.

With regards to the OP, my understanding is that technically the paper plates for Texas from Tesla aren't dealer plates (given the rules about Tesla and dealerships), and taping it to the rear windshield is actually correct. One would need to look at the temp plate to see what kind they are. I am not sure if things have changed recently. Source:

Permit Display​

The 30-Day Permit must be displayed in the rear window of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a rear window, the operator must attach the permit to the vehicle or carry the permit in the vehicle at all times during the period in which the permit is valid. The receipt must always be carried in the vehicle at all times during the period in which the permit is valid.