Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can California’s Electrical Grid Handle More Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Summer just got a little hotter: State could have you using your AC less

According to CAISO, this summer California might be in danger of not being able to meet the demand for electricity during peak times of the day due to a shortfall in hydro generation.

With more and more superchargers coming online, will there be enough supply to meet demand?

I wonder if one day we’ll have people stuck at certain superchargers because that area is experiencing a black out.

Folks who charge at home are often aware of the peak cost times and charge accordingly. It is the Superchargers that seem to charge indiscriminately. I know that companies have been called by the power company and asked to reduce load, so it may be possible to see Tesla curtail the charging if things get bad.
But overall, I don't think that Superchargers are that much on the radar for the power company when it comes to load. While they look at charging with a load shedding mindset, I'm not sure if it will be impacting.

But that's another thing that Superchargers can think about, 3-7 in the afternoon is the worse time for the grid.

Remember in a blackout gas stations can’t pump gas either. Hopefully Tesla will be adding solar to more SuperChargers. Then we will never need to worry.
I knew someone was going to point that out. That’s completely irrelevant. Just because gas cars will be affected too doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to find a solution to the potential problem.