Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use this SSD for Sentry recording?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Will this Lacie 500 GB SSD work in our Teslas for recording and storing Sentry? If it does, do I just pull out the Tesla 128GB stick and plug this in with a short USB>USBC cable?

Thanks
D71308CE-3120-4D31-995A-419E644CB85C.jpeg

I am not familiar with that brand, but if it's reliable then the advertised 1050 read rate should be sufficient, but be certain it has no slower than a 500 write rate for use as your webcam drive.... You will be writing more than reading, after all.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum where a lot of discussion regarding good and bad solutions has happened. I would go there and look thru the 40-50 pages to see if anyone has experience with this brand. I know from personal experience that Samsung SSDs, T5 and T7, are good, and that SanDisk cards and memory sticks are completely hit and miss.

You will need a way to connect your SSD to the USB-A 3.x port in the glovebox - and that cable will also need to support higher speeds otherwise it will become a bottleneck. There are many solutions, the one I got was:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086YVMV7Z

Good luck!

I am not familiar with that brand, but if it's reliable then the advertised 1050 read rate should be sufficient, but be certain it has no slower than a 500 write rate for use as your webcam drive.... You will be writing more than reading, after all.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum where a lot of discussion regarding good and bad solutions has happened. I would go there and look thru the 40-50 pages to see if anyone has experience with this brand. I know from personal experience that Samsung SSDs, T5 and T7, are good, and that SanDisk cards and memory sticks are completely hit and miss.

You will need a way to connect your SSD to the USB-A 3.x port in the glovebox - and that cable will also need to support higher speeds otherwise it will become a bottleneck. There are many solutions, the one I got was:

Amazon.com

Good luck!
Hi, Thanks so much for your reply. I bought this Lacie SSD at The Apple Store to backup my MacBook Pro. The write speed is 1000 MB/s.
Here's a link to Lacie Website...

The cameras write at like 0.5 megs a second, to 2 MB/s total for 4 cams... literally anything from a standard USB-A key like Tesla includes with the car up to a high end USB-C PCIe4 SSD is WAY more than fast enough outside of maybe knockoff/gray market/counterfeit junk.

Even USB 2.0 is way faster than needed, so no the cable will never be a bottleneck either.

The cameras write at like 0.5 megs a second, to 2 MB/s total for 4 cams... literally anything from a standard USB-A key like Tesla includes with the car up to a high end USB-C PCIe4 SSD is WAY more than fast enough outside of maybe knockoff/gray market/counterfeit junk.

Even USB 2.0 is way faster than needed, so no the cable will never be a bottleneck either.
Well, you certainly told me.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt