Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Mobile Connector be fooled to output 220V when not connected to a car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an electric motorcycle that is charged via either a 110V or 220V cord terminating in an IEC 320-C19 plug, which plugs into the corresponding port on the battery's built-in charger.

We currently have two Tesla Mobile Connectors in our garage -- one gen 1 and one gen 2 -- to charge our various EVs.

I'm trying to craft up an adapter that could accept the Mobile Connector (Tesla plug) and terminate to the IEC 320-C19 plug, as that would be handier than having to unplug the MC from the NEMA 14-50 jack just to plug in the motorcycle's cord.

What's stopping me is that I'm not sure what to do about the Proximity Pilot pin on the NACS plug, as it seems if that doesn't get a signal back from whatever car it's plugged into, then the MC won't start sending power (which is bad because the motorcycle doesn't have that pin). Is that correct? If so, is there a way to fool the MC so that it will output 220V even if the vehicle doesn't verify?

Last edited:
It will not output power unless it can properly communicate with the car.

Looks like sells a J1772 to IEC C19 adapter which has a chip inside to fool the EVSE into thinking a car is connected. So perhaps you can then use a Tesla to J1772 adapter to connect to that? Not sure if it will work. But also daisy chaining multiple adapters doesn’t sound like the best idea…

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions. Minimizing the total number of adapters and cords involved is my goal. Ideally, the bike's charger would have a NACS port on it, but there are no bikes that have that yet. I have some spare adapters that I'm going to tinker with, but I'll probably just plug the 14-50 to C19 cord in and charge directly. Thanks again, everyone.

You could get something like this.

It allows you to charge from both output outlets simultaneously and the internal breaker will limit any accidental total overcurrent. Then set your vehicles to an appropriate amperage. If you want a hardware limit on the tesla side, which is advisable, use a pigtail adapter to take the 14-50 down to a 6-20 or 14-30 outlet.