Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A total long shot - set the current as low as possible in the car before plugging in.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it made no difference.

I'm not an electrician but your "3 gauge copper to 6 gauge aluminum wire" comment and pictures possibly showing no conduit on your 60A 240V WC would make me worried you electrician "cut some corners" on your installation which may not be to electrical code. IMHO I would get it inspected by your local building department not only for your safety, but IF you have a fire to make sure your property insurer doesn't deny your claim from "faulty wiring".

I pulled an electrical permit (including required load calculation) and had a licensed electrician install our daughter-in-law's new gen2 Signature Tesla WC on a 60A 240V breaker 2 feet away (8 foot wire run) for their M3 LR in their 2019 built home. Worked perfectly the moment it was connected, passed electrical inspection, and has worked flawlessly ever since. Note ALL the copper wire was completely enclosed in METAL conduit... not flex like yours and in continuous (not spliced) wires... which makes me wonder if your electrician's installation is "to code". I strongly suggest you get it inspected to verify if it is... not take your electrical contractor's word for it.

View attachment 526919

Yes, great idea. Definitely not worth burning the house down. I’m not sure if the township is doing inspections right now, but if so I’ll have them come out next week.

Yeah, its feeding off the main panel so neutral and ground are technically the same thing, but going from white to green is not correct.

Thanks for the help mongo. So do you think the incorrect installation is the root cause of the issue, or is it the communications board in the WC?
Is that extra junction the electrician used not appropriate? FWIW, he is licensed and insured, but I don’t think he’d ever installed a HPWC before.

Thanks for the help mongo. So do you think the incorrect installation is the root cause of the issue, or is it the communications board in the WC?
Is that extra junction the electrician used not appropriate? FWIW, he is licensed and insured, but I don’t think he’d ever installed a HPWC before.
I think the power feed is fine, otherwise the WC would give an error code. Having a junction box is ok too, just not code if the white is getting switched to green.

Pretty sure the issue is the communication line
Since you have a meter, you could test the continuity from WC to car plug ( breaker off of course) I'm not sure which is which, but two of the wires should connect to the two small sockets. You might need a small piece of wire if your meter probe is too large

Reactions: brkaus
Yes, great idea. Definitely not worth burning the house down. I’m not sure if the township is doing inspections right now, but if so I’ll have them come out next week.

I suggest you see if your township's building department has the following online:
  1. electrical permit application
  2. load calculation worksheet
  3. EV charger installation specifications
I downloaded all the above from the local building department and they specified the wire size (#6 THHN) and conduit (3/4" EMC, RNC or FMC) and supports spacing. They also had an easy to complete load calculation and a sample site / floor plan showing the garage, main service panel, and Tesla WC. I got everything approved and the $245 electrical permit pulled "over the counter" for the gen2 Tesla WC I showed above... and I'm just a real estate broker, not a contractor.

Attachments

• Riverside Building Dept. Residential Electric Charger GHOST ADDRESS.pdf
    289.9 KB · Views: 35