Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement mobile connector for 2014 Model S85 - What to get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2014 Model S85
I have the mobile connector that came with the car plus two adaptors
-- A Nema 14-30 which I use to charge at 24 amps at one location
-- A Nema 14-50 which I use to charge at 40 amps at another location

I have become tired of unplugging and bringing the mobile connector between the two locations.
I also realize that if this mobile connector fails, I am going to be rather screwed.
So I thought, "Time to get a backup mobile connector"
However, at the Tesla Store, I don't recognize what is there now. They look different to what I have.

There is this one for $520
Corded Mobile Connector

And this one for $300
Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

Which one should I get?

If I am reading it correctly, the more expensive corded-mobile-connector has a hardwired 14-50 plug
(and it can't do 14-30 ?)
It also looks like I would need to separately purchase a new Nema 14-30 to go with the gen-2-mobile-connector

So the connector that seemingly does less is more?
Also "*The second generation mobile connector has a max output of 32 amps when using the 14-50 adapter"
meaning it can't do 40 amps (as my current mobile connector can) ?

I am confused.
Wishing that I could just buy another of what I already have.

Thanks for any advice.

-- Mike Berrow

I just received the Gen 2 bundle. The Gen one will stay in the car and be lightly used. The Gen 2 will stay plugged in and should last a long time as I only need 24A at 240.

Rather curious, the NEMA 14-50 is labelled 30 A. Tesla said the Regulators made them label it that way even though the cable is 32A.

Unless you drive more than 105 mi a day, better to charge a little under 40A. My car has only one on board charger....

I have a late 2014 Model S85 - I have the mobile connector that came with the car plus two adaptors
-- A Nema 14-30 which I use to charge at 24 amps at one location
-- A Nema 14-50 which I use to charge at 40 amps at another location

There is this one for $520 Corded Mobile Connector
And this one for $300 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle
Which one should I get?
-- Mike Berrow
Plugging and unplugging is not recommended.
If the plug in not inserted all the way there might be a bad connection, resulting in overheating which would damage the plug.

If so, since you plan to keep the UMC plugged all the time, why don't you choose to install a permanent wall charger?

Do you know the wire size and circuit breaker value for each of the above lines?
Using a permanent wall charger, you might be able to charge quickly.
And you have more flexibility for adjusting the current value using an internal rotary switch.

Do you think that you might have the need in the future to have to charge two cars at the same time at one of those locations?
If so, with a wall charger, the advantage is that you can in the future add a second charger and they can share the same line.

Tesla Wall Connector $500

Last edited:
Reactions: CSFTN
The Gen 1 connectors will support up to 40A when used with the 14-50 adapter.

The Gen 2 connectors are limited to 32A, even with the 14-50 adapter.

The corded connector has a 14-50 plug, and will charge at up to 40A, same with the new HPWC with the 14-50 plug.

An HPWC can charge at up to 80A, when connected directly to power - at the maximum charging rate the vehicle will take.

We were using a 14-50 corded connector for our 2nd Tesla and when we got the referral HPWC, we hardwired it to the 14-50 power, the electrician was able to boost the breaker to 60A and now we get 48A of charging through the HPWC - and our 14-50 corded connector is now sitting on a shelf...

First gen mobile connector (gen1) maxed out the power transfer (by that I mean speed at which electrical energy is transferred) allowable under the law. As a consequence, they sometimes would get very hot, and (maybe) contributed to some garage fires.

Second gen OTOH de-emphasizes max power transfer (nowadays, there's Superchargers for when you need to do that, there wasn't back when gen1 was designed - and there's wall connectors, also not initially available), therefore should lessen the amount of heat it produces, so should have much lower risk of garage fires. It also has thicker/beefier connections for the same rationale.

As stated above, every time you plug and unplug you 1) provide a little bit of wear of that junction 2)provide an opportunity to get electrocuted 3) provide an opportunity to plug back in incorrectly or incompletely, which can mean a fire later on.