Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can NOT release parking brake after HV Pyro-Fuse blows? 12V available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched a video on Youtube where the owner indicated he could not release the parking brake (using tow mode). The Model Y was rear ended hard enough that the HV Pyro-Fuse blew. The 12V systems and center screen appeared to be fully functional. Since the parking brake functions using 12V, what would be the reason why tow mode did not work??? The DC-to-DC converter would have not been functioning in this scenario. If I'm ever stranded with a none functioning DC-to-DC converter, follows is my plan before the 12V battery dies. Open the frunk, roll at least the driver door window slightly down and leave it ajar. Block one tire front and rear to keep the car from rolling. Put the car in tow mode. Remove the 12V battery cable from the negative post. Wait for tow truck. If the parking brake will not release, the above steps would be in vain.

Just watched a video on Youtube where the owner indicated he could not release the parking brake (using tow mode). The Model Y was rear ended hard enough that the HV Pyro-Fuse blew. The 12V systems and center screen appeared to be fully functional. Since the parking brake functions using 12V, what would be the reason why tow mode did not work??? The DC-to-DC converter would have not been functioning in this scenario. If I'm ever stranded with a none functioning DC-to-DC converter, follows is my plan before the 12V battery dies. Open the frunk, roll at least the driver door window slightly down and leave it ajar. Block one tire front and rear to keep the car from rolling. Put the car in tow mode. Remove the 12V battery cable from the negative post. Wait for tow truck. If the parking brake will not release, the above steps would be in vain.
Just tried out "Tow/Transport Mode" a few days ago. You bring up the Transport Mode screen and the button is grayed out. To enable the button, you are required to step on the brake and put the car into drive which does/should release the parking brake. The only thing the button appears to do is open the HV contactors (load clunk). So if the contactors are already open, due to the Pyro Fuse blowing, the car probably can NOT be put in drive. If putting the car into drive was not required, maybe Transport Mode could have worked? Have the button perform two functions release the parking brake and open the contactors, while stepping in the hydraulic brake pedal. I was initially confused by having to put the car into drive.

Thoughts!