Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Emergency Frunk Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X, 2019 September Build. My vehicle went into what most would call a "limp mode" and advised to stop driving ASAP. I got it home and in texting the SC with the codes it was diagnosed as a HV battery failure, and I could not get a repair slot for about a week. After a day or so, screen went dark, no doors would open and clear that the 12V battery was now also depleted. I needed to open the Frunk, charge the 12V battery, so I could at least get the car ready for tow, however that did not go as well as you might expect. The 2019 Model X has two manual emergency release cables at the left front lower grill, with a small, easily removable cover. Easy enough. Remove cover and find one of the two cables, the second, no where in sight. Try with just one, no go. Break out needle nose pliers, flashlight, etc., still no cable. Next I fashion a hook out of coat hanger and fish for cable, still no go. finally get endoscope inspection camera and now at least I get to see the second cable. Using camera and coat hanger hook I finally retrieve the cable. All in all, about a 2 hour, to do a 5 minute job, with access to tools!

Bottom line as a PSA to Model X owners, pull that cover and see if you can easily retrieve TWO cables! You do not want to wait and do this on the side of the road or in a parking lot!