Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can now use phone-key with rented Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
It was news to me: You can now use phone-as-key, phone app remote controls, download driver profile, and Bluetooth streaming with a rented Tesla!

This helped a lot, e.g. for remote defrosting.

See Tesla's Digital Key | Hertz Electric Vehicles

Notes:
* It was a mistake to try to set up both of our phones as keys. My Tesla app kept warning that it was too far from the car -- while sitting in the driver seat. Retries failed. It worked the next day, maybe thanks to both of us exiting, locking, and unlocking the car with the card key.
* I'm not sure what steps bring up the large QR code needed to set up the phone key, maybe starting the car when it has no phone keys. The car displays how-to videos next to the QR code.
* The rented Model Y fetched my driver profile and (as expected) without the seat and side mirror positions from my Model 3. But once home, I had to reconnect my phone-as-key and reposition my side mirrors.
* The rental didn't have premium connectivity, so no traffic data or streaming audio.

Question:
* The rental was a 2022 Model Y, but how to tell which variant? ABRP wants you to pick from 7 variants (Long Range NCA or 4680 battery; Standard Range 62, 60, or 67.5 kWh; or Performance NCA or 4680 battery). Surely not a Performance.