Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key muddle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Can you help me work out wtf I’ve done wrong.

So I share my M3LR 2021 with my wife we both have happily used our phones as keys and all has worked fine. Sometimes when we both go to the car and she’s driving it sees me and presents my profile but a manual change to her profile resolves. Other than that no issues.

Over the past week my wife started complaining that the car wasn’t recognising her phone as a key and that she had to use the key card.

So, forgetting the fact she was in the states last week and had all Bluetooth off and probably roaming etc I dived straight into solution mode. My theory was that some update or other had corrupted her profile, mine was unaffected and I had no issues. Please note this is STILL the case.

So I googled and YouTubed and reminded myself how to delete a profile and reinstate her phone as a key.

I went into my own Tesla app and by selecting manage drivers I deleted her profile. I went into the car and selected locks and tried to delete her profile. Not sure that was successful.

So now onto the add driver part and this is where it all seemed to go belly up.

Armed with my wife’s key card and her phone I opened her app and my car had disappeared. The only way forward I can see is to add a new product ie my car. Following this through the app asked for the VIN etc. I wasn’t expecting to do this.

I know it’s supposed to be easy but WTF have I done wrong?

Each time I left my OWN phone far away from the car so as to not confuse profiles etc.

She’s now away to work with the car but using the card as entry only.

Pretty sure it’s me and not the car any idiots guide for an idiot to resolve the issue?

I’m not exactly sure I understand your problem but I doubt it’s add product

If you have the car on your account and it’s not on your wife’s account, from your account go to manage drivers and invite her.

The profile issue I suspect is different. I think it’s under locks. Open that and it tells you which keys are active (could be your phone, key card etc), but next to them is a like a picture of a head. Select the correct profile at the top of the screen which should change the seat etc, if it’s not already correct, and then click the head next to the active key you want to associate with that profile. Next time that key/phone etc opens the car the associated profile should be selected, the only issue being if there are two conflicting keys present.

If I’ve misunderstood your problem I’d need some clarity of what’s going wrong

Reactions: Katic1972
all sorted and entirely my fault. As explained above wife’s phone was locked down in states to avoid roaming charges etc. on her return to uk couldn’t use the phone as a key. I mistakenly thought profile corruption.

I deleted her and missed the fact I needed to re invite her to be a driver.

She accepted the request and no further action was required to get her iPhone working as a key.

Thanks all. Drama over.