Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can one replace a MYLR rear motor with a MYP motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many MY buyers with a taste for rapid acceleration, the MYLR+AB vs MYP+PUP choice has eaten at me. I opted for the former in 2021, living in a proper four-season climate with some junky roads in my weekly driving, as I could never get comfortable with the ~3/4" drop in suspension and allegedly very firm ride required by the mandatory PUP upgrade. A MYP+PUP with suspension mods and replacement wheels to regain that taller and more relaxed ride gets expensive, plus the complication of a MYLR trade-in deflated by a rebate on new MYLR vehicles.

Reading a few posts about motor problems and replacements got me wondering... can one have a MYLR rear motor replaced with a MYP rear motor? Is there more to it? Is it even allowed? I didn't find many differences sifting through parts diagrams.

Like many MY buyers with a taste for rapid acceleration, the MYLR+AB vs MYP+PUP choice has eaten at me. I opted for the former in 2021, living in a proper four-season climate with some junky roads in my weekly driving, as I could never get comfortable with the ~3/4" drop in suspension and allegedly very firm ride required by the mandatory PUP upgrade. A MYP+PUP with suspension mods and replacement wheels to regain that taller and more relaxed ride gets expensive, plus the complication of a MYLR trade-in deflated by a rebate on new MYLR vehicles.

Reading a few posts about motor problems and replacements got me wondering... can one have a MYLR rear motor replaced with a MYP rear motor? Is there more to it? Is it even allowed? I didn't find many differences sifting through parts diagrams.

I am fairly certain you could replace the motor with the rear motor from the P, and also fairly certain that unless you were able to hack the vehicle config or get someone who could, nothing at all would change with your car.

Its not like replacing the motor in an ICE.

The aftermarket speed boost things you see available from companies like ingineext etc, are usually only available for a car with a specific motor or motors, and just tell the car its a different model. You would need to replace the motor (if in fact you dont already have the same motor in your car already) and some device like that.

The acceleration difference between a Model Y Performance and a Model Y Long Range with Acceleration Boost is not as great as Tesla makes you think. The MYP is about a 3.5-3.6 second 0-60 car, while the MYLR+AB is about a 3.9-4.0 second car.

There are many M3 and MY LR vehicles that are delivered with Performance motors, including my 2023 Austin build MY LR. Unfortunately the motor is completely limited by the software. As you probably know, Tesla offers an "Acceleration Boost" upgrade for $2k. If you upgrade, the car doesn't require any additional hardware - it just unlocks the software for added performance on the existing motor.

There are many M3 and MY LR vehicles that are delivered with Performance motors, including my 2023 Austin build MY LR. Unfortunately the motor is completely limited by the software. As you probably know, Tesla offers an "Acceleration Boost" upgrade for $2k. If you upgrade, the car doesn't require any additional hardware - it just unlocks the software for added performance on the existing motor.
how do you know if you have a performance motor? what's the motor code or part #?

The P motor is a 980 motor. You need to look for the stamp on the motor. Early LR used the same motor as P. My Feb 21 build LR had the 990 motor which they switched over to. The 980 can be unlocked on a LR to give an extra 150 HP with the ingenex module. The 990 can't.

The P motor is a 980 motor. You need to look for the stamp on the motor. Early LR used the same motor as P. My Feb 21 build LR had the 990 motor which they switched over to. The 980 can be unlocked on a LR to give an extra 150 HP with the ingenex module. The 990 can't.
This is correct, however my 2023 MY LR came with a new hairpin model motor, called the 4D1. Evidently this is the latest technology Performance motor and I am not aware of any other vehicles in North America with that motor yet. I'm not sure if the Ingenex performance upgrade module will work with it.

There isn't much known about the motor yet, but the software is really what drives performance. My Performance motor is operating just like any other LR motor - I would still need to pay another $2K to get the "Acceleration Boost" software upgrade.
By Chance do you know what the HP on the vehicles Certificate of Origin stated for your 4D1 equipped MYLR?

Thanks

I never received a certificate of origin, does that come later via mail? I'm also pretty sure the HP will be limited by software.
No it is issued with the vehicle and is generally sent to the state to then receive a state issued title. Some states may not take it though. an internet friend received his for a MYLR ordered on 1/14 and it only listed 362 HP which bugs me since that HP in a vehicle that weighs over 4300lb will not generally be able to meet the 4.8 second 0-60 mph that Tesla states for MYLR.

It has become an idiosyncrasy for me, and I do intend to check my Origin Certificate before handing over the money. I will also at least get a photocopy of it as well.

There are other model YLR owners at least one on this site that posted their Origin Certificate of 449 HP IIRC.
Just hope my car arrives with a declared HP of at least 400HP because using a 0-60 calculator that is what is a minimum required to achieve a 4.8 second run with a 4300lb vehicle.

here is a pic in another thread note 430 HP MODEL 3 thread hp difference

Tesla stock holder

Last edited:
There are other model YLR owners at least one on this site that posted their Origin Certificate of 449 HP IIRC. Just hope my car arrives with a declared HP of at least 400HP because using a 0-60 calculator that is what is a minimum required to achieve a 4.8 second run with a 4300lb vehicle.

Here is a pic in another thread note 430 HP MODEL 3 thread hp difference
I looked at the thread and it appears most buyers are not getting the Origin Certificate. Someone said they buyer needs to sign it, but the two examples clearly have Elon Musk's digital signature, representing Tesla. In short, it's possible Tesla may send this information directly to each state's DMV, but I don't know how to get a copy of it.

I looked at the thread and it appears most buyers are not getting the Origin Certificate. Someone said they buyer needs to sign it, but the two examples clearly have Elon Musk's digital signature, representing Tesla. In short, it's possible Tesla may send this information directly to each state's DMV, but I don't know how to get a copy of it.
Just seems to me that the buyer should be issued/entitled to a copy of this document if nothing else.
It is the only place Tesla actually declares an SAE HP for a particular VIN build that I am aware of. Nice to keep "all" Tesla documentation as a new car buyer.
Maybe this Origin info is discoverable from the touchscreen in the vehicle??