Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone suggest a tint level for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never tinted windows before, but I'd like to not put up aftermarket window shades to block the sunlight on my kid in the car seat in the back seat.

Is there a tint level that would provide similar protection? She hate it when she sun is in her eyes and the morning trip to daycare and the evening trip back home often have low angle sun conditions that she hates.

Would I need to tint the roof? Is that even possible? Or does it come tinted enough that it wouldn't bother her. Would it look weird if I only tinted the back windows? It gets hot in NC, so keeping the car cool would be a nice bonus.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Well, know from the beginning, that you will get a lot of different opinions on this and there are LOT of threads on here that cover more info on this topic than you would ever want. Generally, you will see the tinting given in terms of percentages: 20%, 30%, etc. - that refers to the amount of "light" the tint allows though, though it can be a somewhat misleading figure. Also, know that the laws vary from state-to-state and generally the windshield is not legal in any state and there are varying laws about the front windows. Generally speaking, anything goes behind the front windows.

I've never tinted windows before, but I'd like to not put up aftermarket window shades to block the sunlight on my kid in the car seat in the back seat.

Is there a tint level that would provide similar protection? She hate it when she sun is in her eyes and the morning trip to daycare and the evening trip back home often have low angle sun conditions that she hates.

Would I need to tint the roof? Is that even possible? Or does it come tinted enough that it wouldn't bother her. Would it look weird if I only tinted the back windows? It gets hot in NC, so keeping the car cool would be a nice bonus.
Personally, I had ALL of the glass tinted in my car, including the roof and windshield (the latter of which I thought I would NEVER do). I have 90% on the windshield and 30% everywhere else. IMO, the 30% is more than sufficient. The main reason I got it done on the roof was because of glare in my eyes with the bright sunshine. Now, it is not a problem.

Some people will put lighter tint on the front windows than the rest of the car - I did that on my last car.

Just know that tinting will make it harder for you to see out at night. Not (IMO) in a dangerous way, just know that it can be an issue for some.

Tinting the windshield REALLY helps with heat. Mostly, it causes no visibility issues (the 90% isn't even noticeable from a "tint" standpoint), but I do notice a slight haze on the windshield on brighter days, but clarity is better at night. And it is illegal in (I believe) all 50 states.

If you are one who keeps their car longer and can afford it, most people (myself included) suggest going with ceramic. But that really drives up the pricing. Getting my car done with all ceramic was $1,600.

That's my $0.02

I've found tint looks very different when looking in versus looking out; it looks much lighter when looking out. If your primary goal is to block sunlight, I suggest a stronger tint. We have always done 20% in the rear part of the car and 35% on the driver and passenger windows. We like how it looks and provides great protection from sun and heat.

But only you can determine what's right for you. Go check out some local shops. I am sure you will be able to see different levels of tint being applied.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Do you have the white or black interior?

If you have the black, I'd say 30% is perfect, but me with the white interior I have 15% and its still not dark enough.

If you’re going to get tint, I recommend researching good brand tint. The “99 dollar” special tint is the cheap stuff that will peel. A Quality shop that can do the tint install is very important so that the bubbles will go away properly as the tint dries/cures.

If you’re going to get tint, I recommend researching good brand tint. The “99 dollar” special tint is the cheap stuff that will peel. A Quality shop that can do the tint install is very important so that the bubbles will go away properly as the tint dries/cures.
Agree! You don't list your location @SGM1980 but if you do, people can make recos for local (to you) shops.

If you happen to be in my neck of the woods, I recommend Rey's Window Tinting

After asking for some recommendations I think I'll go with the shop right down the road from the Raleigh NC service center. He can do a partial front wrap for 950 and ceramic tint for 375. Great reviews.

Does that sound reasonable?