Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla Execute on Model 3 in 2018?

Can Tesla Execute on Model 3 in 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 52.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that Tesla wants to build cars similar to how software is built (rolling constant improvements), I suspect they didn’t roll the dice with soft tooling. They chose it explicitly. They are assuming that enough things will change (and they want that constant change) that investing in hard tooling at the outset doesn’t make sense.

They don’t see it as skipping steps. They see it as doing it better. Whether it’s really better or not remains to be seen but I applaud the willingness to try.

As for the OP’s poll... the better question is whether hitting 80% of projected matters or not. I doubt that metric matters. It will be rate of production improvement that matters.
The problem is cars are not software. There is no software update for cracking glass roofs, malfunctioning charge port doors, windows, squeaky seats, etc. It is extremely expensive to bring 200k cars back to the service center to fix manufacturing flaws. Tesla might have really screwed themselves by trying to cut corners.

Reactions: C141medic
"Exceeding" is very relative and subjective in this case. It still can't read speed signs or display vehicles in other lanes. Sad!

It's in the software for internal testing for quite some time.

Optimism, late and never are three words one has to understand very well when discussing Tesla topics.

Elon was OPTIMISTIC about AP2 parity in Jan 2017
AP2 was LATE, needing March 2018 to arrive.

Last edited: