Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can this damage be buffed out? Does it need a new bumper or a paint job?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A taxi bumped into rear passenger side wheel. What are the some options to fix this? Any cost estimates?
Thanks!
damage.jpg

View attachment 871244

Where I live this is a $250 job at a decent independent body repair shop. Red paint can be crazy expensive, however, so that may be a factor.

And if the taxi hit the wheel as you mentioned, you may want to have the alignment checked - especially if the cab company is footing the bill.
Good call if the cab co is paying.

Upvote 0
View attachment 871244

Where I live this is a $250 job at a decent independent body repair shop. Red paint can be crazy expensive, however, so that may be a factor.

And if the taxi hit the wheel as you mentioned, you may want to have the alignment checked - especially if the cab company is footing the bill.
Thank you for the detailed answer.
The body shops near me are greedy as they would rather prefer to get the insurance payment
View attachment 871244

Thanks for annotating details on the photo.
Over here they will charge insurance rates and not a one off respray unfortunately.

wondering if the area where paint is completely fine would rust if not painted.

Presently I am thinking of going with insurance.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the detailed answer.
The body shops near me are greedy as they would rather prefer to get the insurance payment

Thanks for annotating details on the photo.
Over here they will charge insurance rates and not a one off respray unfortunately.

I wouldn’t use my own insurance for that, what’s your deductible?

Upvote 0

You can diy it, it's not terribly difficult. You can get paint matched in a can by a paint shop to diy it. Make sure you use a can of 2K clear. Oh and the question of rust, the bumper is plastic so no on rust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My Body shop is located in Westchester NY. Mamaroneck to be precise. I can fix that for you for $450. The red is a 3 stage so it’s a little more involved, but that’s an easy fix. We will repair the damaged area and blend accordingly, this way we disrupt as little of the factory paint possible. finally we will re-clear the whole bumper. Message me if you need help.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0