Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we get behavioral settings, rather than just TOU rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With grid charging available, it seems that some of us have desired behaviors that simply aren't possible with the simplistic TOU settings. For instance, during sunny hours, I want to charge from solar only, then if there is any unfilled capacity in the late afternoon, charge from the grid so the PW is full before peak hours. To get it to charge from solar only, you have to raise the cost of electricity to very high, which isn't the reality, since it is off-peak time. With the cost raised high, it, of course, doesn't want to use grid power. However, if it clouds up enough that solar isn't covering house use, it still doesn't want to use the grid, and so it starts discharging the PW. Since, in reality it is off-peak, I want the grid to kick in whenever the sun isn't enough. These are contradictory behaviors to a TOU algorithm. I think issues like this can be resolved if we were allowed to set behaviors, rather than electric rates.

As best as I can imagine, their are only 6 desired behaviors as far as the PW goes:

1. don't charge at all
2. charge from solar only
3. charge from either solar or grid
4. don't discharge at all (except in an outage)
2. discharge to house only
3. discharge to either house or grid

For every time period, you would have to set one charge and one discharge setting. This seems like it would be much easier to program into software than the current TOU algorithms. One added behavior, but not necessary, is a cap on the rate of charge/discharge.