Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you alter primary Route on navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I select a destination, Tesla navigation will only give me one route. What if I want to use another route? Do I have to select an intermediate stop to force it on my' preferred route? Or is there another way to move route over to the way I want to go? Thx. Tony

In most examples you should see different routes when you first select a destination. They will go away a few moments or after you start driving. You can select those gray lines and they will become blue but if you have reroute around traffic selected and the longer way is longer than your threshold, it will re route the shortest route.

Yes, you can use waypoints by selecting a location on the map and click on add why you are in route . You can select the 3 dots and go into edit and move the way points up or down. I don't know what firmware update this was all added. I'm on 2022.45.15.

Reactions: agmonaco
Upvote 0
In most examples you should see different routes when you first select a destination. They will go away a few moments or after you start driving. You can select those gray lines and they will become blue but if you have reroute around traffic selected and the longer way is longer than your threshold, it will re route the shortest route.

Yes, you can use waypoints by selecting a location on the map and click on add why you are in route . You can select the 3 dots and go into edit and move the way points up or down. I don't know what firmware update this was all added. I'm on 2022.45.15.
Thank you.. I have not seen that yet. I will look.

Upvote 0
Definitely learn to use the waypoint feature. After you've selected your destination, look towards the bottom of the screen for the box where the "End trip" button is. Next to it is a "..." button. Press it, and you'll see where you can add stops and edit them. The edit feature is important because sometimes you might need to rearrange them to get the order correct.

Upvote 0
I have taken numerous jaunts about the west. I have a pretty good knowledge of the highways and country roads to take to reach my destination. A good example from a few years ago was that I wanted to go from Woodland, California, to Grass Valley, California. Of course I wanted to see if I had enough charge to reach Grass Valley. Tesla's navigation routed me to Sacramento, then Auburn, then north to Grass Valley. Of course that route was the shortest and quickest.

But I like to take more leisurely drives and avoid traffic if possible. I wanted to head from Woodland to Marysville (north of Sac) then east to Grass Valley. I kept the navigation on the touchscreen. I ignored the nags to make U-turns to return to Interstate 5 and Sacramento. Eventually the software calculated my preference and the nags stopped.

This was before Tesla added that brief moment to select alternate routes and the ability to add waypoints.

But if you are quite knowledgeable about the particular highways you want to take to get from A to B, the navigation will eventually see what you are doing and make appropriate changes.

Upvote 0