Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you choose your delivery location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be ordering a Model 3 soon. I'm in South Bend, IN and the closest Tesla locations are downtown Chicago about 2 hours away, or the north side of Indianapolis about 2.5 hours away. Although Indianapolis is a little further, it's a much easier drive without the traffic headaches of Chicago and I would rather take delivery there. Do you have the option of choosing where you take delivery or does Tesla transport your car to the Tesla location closest to where you live?

Once you place your order, you will be given the option of a few delivery locations. If the location that you want isn't available, just select one. When you talk to you service advisor, let them know you'd like to change your delivery location. They should be able to help you.

With Chicago as a major rail hub, I think you're more likely to get the car in a more timely fashion if you take delivery at one of the Chicago stores. You could take delivery in Westmont if you don't want to deal with city traffic. That store also seems to get a good number of inventory cars.

My experience - Whether or not your own or your pickup state has laws interfering with pickup across state lines, Tesla's system will not allow you to select a delivery center outside of your state (except maybe in Michigan since you can't select an in-state DC?)

Also, don't believe the FAQ when it claims you can go to your nearest service center. Many SCs do not actually handle deliveries.

Had Tesla allowed me to cross state lines from NY to NJ (my parents live 30 minutes from the Springfield showroom), or had actually honored their promise to allow me to go to my nearest Service Center in Henrietta, NY instead of forcing me to Mt Kisco, I might be in the waiting line for a Model 3 instead of with an active credit card dispute with Tesla and a Chevy Bolt in my garage.