Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you Walk-in and buy a Tesla Model Y on the spot? Inventory shows Immediately Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told two different stories from Tesla reps. The closest location is about 2 hours from me.
I have a limited window, and have to buy on a specific day. The first rep told me, the best thing to do is show up in person, and the advisor will help get you setup and you can drive away that same day. As long as no trade in and some other goofy stuff.

The next advisor I talked to after having some follow up questions, told me that walk-ins are not allowed and you must place all orders online and set a future delivery date even if it says available.

Anyone shed light?

I don't think so literally.

The fastest way to get a Tesla (other than 3rd party) is to order one in inventory, but even then you may need to wait a week for them to ship it, clean it up, and prep for delivery.

Only going off my own experience. I bought an inventory model in 2021 and that's how it went. Got another one in 2023, but that was a website order and it took 4wks

Upvote 0
There can be also issues with your car insurance requiring a VIN number:

Also you may need to get a certified cashier's check with the exact purchase amount.

Reactions: 455dan
Upvote 0
I've been told two different stories from Tesla reps. The closest location is about 2 hours from me.
I have a limited window, and have to buy on a specific day. The first rep told me, the best thing to do is show up in person, and the advisor will help get you setup and you can drive away that same day. As long as no trade in and some other goofy stuff.

The next advisor I talked to after having some follow up questions, told me that walk-ins are not allowed and you must place all orders online and set a future delivery date even if it says available.

Anyone shed light?

In my experience walk-ins are pretty common and allowed. If you want to buy the car the sales advisor will sit down with you and complete the same steps to order it "online" as you would have at home. There are many people who want/need that assistance. Whether or not you can drive away with it on the exact same day would of course depend on the paperwork (insurance, payment, vehicle availability, any licensing required, plates, etc).

Reactions: PrGrPa
Upvote 0
Seems like it would be a much simpler way to purchase the car. Especially if you were just a walk-in customer.
Not if you are a merchant and having to pay somewhere between 1.5% and 4% to a credit card company as a fee for taking that card. All those "points" and "Miles" and "cash back" are not free, they are paid for by the fees the seller is charged in processing those cards.

Thats why companies dont take them for large purchases like cars, even if you have a credit limit on a card to do it (unless the merchant is making enough money on the deal to absorb it).

Reactions: sgMT
Upvote 0
I don't think so literally.

The fastest way to get a Tesla (other than 3rd party) is to order one in inventory, but even then you may need to wait a week for them to ship it, clean it up, and prep for delivery.

Only going off my own experience. I bought an inventory model in 2021 and that's how it went. Got another one in 2023, but that was a website order and it took 4wks
Inventory models can be ready for delivery in as quickly as 1-2 day

Upvote 0
There can be also issues with your car insurance requiring a VIN number:
Almost all insurance companies automatically cover a new car purchase for 7-30 days until you have the chance to add it to your policy.

Also you may need to get a certified cashier's check with the exact purchase amount.
I think the main point here is it CAN be very quick if it's a simple transaction and you're willing to do things Tesla's way.

If you:
  • Already have an active insurance policy for another car
  • Aren't trying to trade in a car
  • Are willing to either finance the car through Tesla's finance partners or pay cash through Plaid/EFT
Then the whole transaction can be completed in an hour or two.

Upvote 0
Not if you are a merchant and having to pay somewhere between 1.5% and 4% to a credit card company as a fee for taking that card. All those "points" and "Miles" and "cash back" are not free, they are paid for by the fees the seller is charged in processing those cards.

Thats why companies dont take them for large purchases like cars, even if you have a credit limit on a card to do it (unless the merchant is making enough money on the deal to absorb it).
Good point. I did do that once - I bought a new Ford pickup. They did charge me an extra $400

Upvote 0
Not to hijack or change subject but:
Has anyone heard of buying one with a credit card?
When I bought my MYP in August 2023, you could not make the whole payment via CC, only deposits. Tesla required (all through the app) me to provide routing information to a bank account so a wire transfer could take place for the full payment amount. So I had to have two sources of payment - credit card for things like plug-n-charge at Superchargers or to pay for things in the app. And a wire transfer setup to a bank account, just for initial purchase.

Upvote 0
I went to a Tesla "party" and they had a few customers entering their orders on Tesla's laptops. "Yes, you still have to pay the deposit." If the car was ready you could drive it away, but none were ready. I went home, found one in inventory and picked it up the next day. This time I did not fear Plaid's access to my checking account, offered my trade-in, financed through Tesla's lender, all in less that 24 hours.

Way too easy to snare an impulsive customer.

Upvote 0
I've been "thinking" about getting a Model Y for several months. First, I waited for the 2024 model to see if anything changed, then I waited to see if Juniper was on its way. Recently, I decided to quit waiting. Last Tuesday, I put in a preliminary order online for a MYLR, stealth grey, 19" wheels, and black/white interior. I was immediately informed that such a car was available at my local Tesla store (Carlsbad, CA). On Wednesday, I dropped by the store and finalized the order; interestingly, they had several identical cars in storage and I was able to choose a Texas-built Y. I also arranged to trade in my Model S, which was agreed to on Thursday. On Friday, I dropped my S at the store and picked up my Y. I got a good trade-in on my S, and a great price on the Y. No hassles whatsoever. I am a happy camper!

Vistan

Upvote 0
I ordered my (inventory) car on a Sunday afternoon and picked it up 11 AM the next day. I paid the $250 deposit through the app (with Apple Pay) from a parking lot. Then when I got home I paid the balance of the car through an online account I linked to the app. Then I had some paperwork to fill out in the app and picked it up the next AM. Easiest car transaction of my life…by far.

I asked about putting some of the car on a credit card (for points/cash back) but I was told “no” and didn’t push.

Upvote 0

Also, there is a risk to the dealer of dispute the charge if customer isn’t happy about something which can delay payment. And if there is a loan and customer wants to use credit card as down payment that could put the dealer in default on the loan with the bank as the credit card is considered a second loan on the vehicle. A no no.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I ordered an "Available for Immediate Delivery" on Sunday and I could have picked it up on Tuesday. I opted for Thursday instead, because I wanted more time to shop around for trade-in offers. So, it's quick, but not walk in and buy immediately. The order is entirely online though, you only need to go in to pick up.

Upvote 0