Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Delay Final Delivery Date? Currently In A Lease Until 03-2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am a day one reservation holder, non-owner, who received an invite to configure my vehicle a back in May. I have yet to pull the trigger on ordering my LR Non-AWD model as I currently am in a lease, which is set to go back at the end of March 2019. I went in today to configure my vehicle to get an idea of the expected delivery date and it is quoted as 2-4 months. My question is... if I were to configure today and pay the $2500 deposit, would it be possible to postpone the delivery and the start of the loan payments to sometime in mid-December, if the car happens to be ready prior to that timeframe?

I am in Tampa, FL so I am hoping that since I am on the opposite coast, delivery will tend to be closer to the four-month period anyways, but I'd like to stall as long as possible to minimize on having two car payments, while still allowing myself the opportunity to get the full tax credit.

The full tax credit extends through Dec 31 2018. Date is based on delivery.
Once you order (pay the $2500), the production date and delivery logistics is all Tesla.
When you are notified that the car is ready for pick-up you have ~ one week of leeway.

It sounds like you should order soon. A delivery that slips into 2019 costs you you $3750 so don''t play this too close to the deadline. You may be able to recoup a large fraction of your final lease payments by transferring the lease to someone else. Perhaps putting $500 of your money towards the person picking up the lease would find someone.

Similar boat here too (St Petersburg FL) however my Model S lease is up December 5th I went ahead and ordered June 30th to not taking a risk of missing out on 2018 Federal rebate. May end up with a second redundant car for a few months!

Pss wondering what they do however if someone is out of the country say on a three-week vacation and unreachable.... what happens then with this 7 day delivery leeway?

They will sell the car to someone else and you will need to wait to be reassigned a new VIN. It varies for everyone but I remember reading that someone has been waiting for 2.5 months. The issue is that Tesla will not provide you any updates, and the status of your car will be stuck in limbo indefinitely.

Hello,

I am a day one reservation holder, non-owner, who received an invite to configure my vehicle a back in May. I have yet to pull the trigger on ordering my LR Non-AWD model as I currently am in a lease, which is set to go back at the end of March 2019. I went in today to configure my vehicle to get an idea of the expected delivery date and it is quoted as 2-4 months. My question is... if I were to configure today and pay the $2500 deposit, would it be possible to postpone the delivery and the start of the loan payments to sometime in mid-December, if the car happens to be ready prior to that timeframe?

I am in Tampa, FL so I am hoping that since I am on the opposite coast, delivery will tend to be closer to the four-month period anyways, but I'd like to stall as long as possible to minimize on having two car payments, while still allowing myself the opportunity to get the full tax credit.

If I were you, i would not wait. you might miss out on full tax credit and get only 1/2 of $7500 if you qualify. In my case, i was emailed and asked how soon i want the car, i said ASAP and delivery was set within a week. Not sure if you ask them to postpone for how long..

My i3 lease is up in Dec. I got an email last week that my config is built if I want it. I declined and asked for mid-November delivery. They agreed and will contact me in November for delivery. I presume my car will go to the next in line for the config.

I’m a 3/31 line-waiter and current owner from NJ. My 3 config is AWD.